1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Temperature Guage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by I RocDuP I, Dec 9, 2011.

1. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Heres a quick question for you guys that have 07.5-Up Silverados. I just got mine yesterday and I noticed that the temp gauge sits a hair over 210. Litterally half the arrow on the guage is 210 and half is over. Is this normal? I am use to my 03 Yukon with the 6.0 that sat a drop under 210.

Thanks

2. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Bump, I still have the truck and was just wondering if this is where it is supposed to sit. It has 2000 miles on it now and still sits a drop over 210.

Thanks

3. SMiller

SMiller Member
    from IN

Temp should be 212* once up to temp. If you look through the different readouts you will see the electric readout that you can set to coolant temp, again GM has the truck set to run 212*, this is normal.

4. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Very common issue with the 07up. The gages read 15*- 20* higher then acutall temp. Lots of info on dieselplace.com.

My 07 an '11 both read 210*...

5. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Yea I really dont know. My silverado 5.3 runs a hair over 210. Im just use to my 03 Yukon Xl 6.0 which runs a drop under 210 so I thought I may have had a defective gauge or thermostat. How would you go about getting the digital readout?

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

A lot of it also has to do with the sensor that controls your gauge. For example I bought my 98 K1500 new and the temp gauge always showed lower than what I knew the thermostat rating was. Over the years it started reading lower so that it was barely over the first mark on the gauge. Over the years I had changed the thermostat as well as the coolant with no changes of the gauge reading.

I finally decided to change the temp sensor for the gauge and now my gauge almost always reads over the 210 mark when hot. So just changing this sensor changed what the readings on my gauge are.

Try hooking up a scanner to your truck to see what your actual temps are. These gauges and the sensors that control them are not always the most accurate.

Wayne

7. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

My 2011 1500 Silverado analog gauge read's just slightly over 210F as well, but the analog gauges are famous for being incorrect. I have an OBD2 digital gauge hooked up and it reads 190F when the analog gauge runs at 210F. Same goes for the battery gauge, always seems to read higher than the digital reads.

I sent you a PM about the digital gauge.

8. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I took these photo's the other night. Here is a comparison of the analog gauge and the digital gauge reading ( my 11 Silverado 1500 ):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see how much the analog temp gauge is off, compared to the digital gauge which is getting it's reading from the vehicles OBD2 port.

9. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Heres a shot of mine
    [​IMG]

Gauge always sits there, the only time I ever see it move is usually once I come off the expressway and start to plow it shakes up and down a little bit but barley. You have to stop and watch the gauge to see it shake after that little shakiness it never moves until you repeat the process.

10. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Right Rocdup...my point is the analog gauge from the factory is misleading. They always seem to run higher than what the temp actually is.

11. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Ya I dont know why GM does that just make the gauge read the right temp