1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

temperature gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sandman60, May 21, 2007.

1. sandman60

sandman60 Junior Member

Hello All, Its been awhile since I have posted anything in here, but I find myself needing some help with a temperature gauge problem in my 1994 GMC Sierra K1500. The dash gauge does not register, despite the engine being warm/hot. I have replaced the sensor and It still doesn't work. Any thoughts/ sugesstions/ ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, before we get too far into the diagnosis of your problem, which temp sender did you replace? The one in the front of the intake on the pass side, or the one in the driver side cylinder head? The one in the head is for the temp gage. The other one in the intake is the coolant temp sensor for the ECM. Let us know.

3. sandman60

sandman60 Junior Member

B&B, thanks for the reply. I replaced the sensor in the cylinder head.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, since you replaced the correct sender, the next step is to check and see if the signal is getting back to the gage. With the key in the run position, disconnect the wire from the sender. Did the needle go to the extreme right of the gage (hot)? Next, ground the disconnected wire to the engine with a paper clip or a short jumper wire (key still on).Did the needle now go to the extreme left (cold)? Lemme know.