1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Temperature Gauge Not Working ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JohnsonLawn, Jan 14, 2007.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

I have a 92 K3500 with a 454 in it and my Temp gauge is not working. All other gauges work as they should. First, where is the sensor located on this truck and how do I test it to find out if it is bad? Second, is it possible that it could be a bad ground contact. Any help is apprecaited. Thanks
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

2 sensors for gm tbi feed trucks. 1st is in top of intake manifold for computer use. 2nd is in left head between cyl1-3 this is the gauge sensor. thay work of resitance. so start the motor cold and check it with a ohm meter 1 lead is to motor ground other is to tab on sensor. then as it warms up watch it to see if the resitance changes. if not then bad sensor. if it does its the gwire to gauge or gauge its self bad.
  3. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

There's an even easier way to test the gauge and sender. With the key in the run position (and the engine off) disconnect the wire to the sensor and note the gauge position. Now ground the wire and note the gauge. It should be full scale one way with the wire open and full scale the other way with the wire grounded. If so, change the sender. If not, you have a bad wire, ground, or gauge.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Joe's right on the money with his test but here's a little more detail for your application, with the wire disconnected your temp gage should go to full hot.With it grounded it should go to full cold.If this all check's out the the wiring and the gage are OK,replace the sender.
  5. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

Well, I turn the key and start the truck and the gauge jumps to full hot and then returns to cold so this tells me the gauge is ok. I checked the ground wire and it is ok. I also checked the other lead with a test light and it is getting power. Has to be the sensor. Would you guys agree? Thanks again
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, I'd say it's the sender cause by your description, the gage has power and the sender wire has continuity.