1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tempature

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Dec 17, 2002.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I was talking to my buddy and we both have this question. When driving around town we both have the tempature gauge rise up when the blade is up. Should we be conserned about this or is it common?

Marty

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Depends on how high it's rising. Basically, you're blocking the air flow to the radiator preventing the coolant from cooling down. One easy thing to do would be to angle the blade right or left. Faster speeds will also cause the air flow to go up and over the hood. Recommended is to keep your highway speed at 45MPH. If you're experiencing this around town, I'd say you need a new thermostat.

Or you have a lead foot (as in "rabbit"starts).

3. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

i had a heat problem in my truck (88k1500) it came with the small radiator but before i spent alot of money i tried a few other things; Flex fan, helped a bit, but still ran warm at times, still really couldnt afford to buy a big radiator so what I did was, I took the electric cooling fan out of a 89 pontiac sunbird that My brother was retiring and mounted it to the inside of the grille in front of the radiator in the same configuration(puller fan) as it was in the sunbird. You can put it on a thermostatic switch but i just put mine on a rocker switch(16 amp switch) it draws 15 amps at startup but cuts back to 5 or 6 amps when at speed. I just watch the temp gauge and if it needs it I flick it on, with this setup I can run straight blade in 50° weather and the truck runs a nice 195°and all it cost me was a $3 switch and 3 zip ties to attach the fan to the grille hope this idea helps ya:drinkup:

4. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Martyman,

Yes it is commmon to have this happen. As mentioned above you can angle the blade, and slow down. There are several things you can do to remedy the situation. I had an older ford that I did the same as mentioned above. I used an electric fan, hooked it up to a lighted rocker switch, and flipped it on when I needed it, and it worked great. Check your thermostat, water pump etc... I have 2 02' fords, I have not had these problems on these trucks, but they are a 250 and a 350.

Rick

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Martyman,this is normal,and shouldnt concern you unless it is getting near the red zone(usually 240 degrees).Temps up to 225 are fine for short periods.Most diesels do not do this,since they have huge cooling systems,and trucks with factory tow pkg's do this but not as bad as those without them. You didnt mention what kind of truck it is,but the GM's use a temperature sesntive clutch fan that doesnt engage until 240 degrees on the 99 and olderC/K trucks,so it basically free wheels and spins slowly until this temp.Both my trucks do this,and at 240 the fan kicks on,the temp will drop to 200 in about 1-2 minutes at 65 mph with the plow blade on.My Dodge will kick the cooling fan in at about 210 degrees,and it will drop to 190 real quick,then cycle off,and free wheel again.If the clutch fan isnt kicking on and just free wheels all the time,(even at 240 degrees)it may be worn out,or a non tow/plow pkg truck,in which case you would want to buy a clutch fan from a truck with a tow pkg.