1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

temp

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sam grinold, Feb 27, 2002.

1. sam grinold

sam grinold Junior Member

I have an 89 super duty with a 7.3 . The temp guage quit and I replaced the sender on the front of motor. Now the guage reads quite higher but truck seems to not be getting over heated. Any ideas ?

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It sounds like the sending unit isn't correct for the application, although I don't know if there's more than one available. The only way to check for sure would be with an auxilliary gauge you know is accurate.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You may want to try changing the thermostat. It could be that it is faulty and the other gauge was not working correctly before it completely crapped out. Watch out for the small bolts of the thermostat they break easily.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Oldmankent's got a point I didn't think of. If the unit you removed had a lot of corrosion or scale on it, it wouldn't be able to get an accurate reading and the new one would read higher.

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

The 7.3L engines are notorious for running unusually cold to begin with. It only costs $5.00 for a stat and takes 30 minutes to replace. then you are certain it is correct.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mine cost $15 at Car Quest. I got hosed?

7. sam grinold

sam grinold Junior Member

Plow miester is the thermastat housing located on top of motor like a gas job or lower?

8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Top front of the engine between the upper radiator hose and the water pump.