1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

temp rises bad

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by smoothbore2004, Nov 11, 2007.

1. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

Hey guys
    Got a 04 chevy 2500HD and no matter what position i put the plow in the temp on the trans and water goes up bad when driving down the highway. I even pull over sometimes to let it cool down. Now what baffles me is my buddys truck that is only couple years older doesnt jump at all. Is there anything I can do to remedy this or do I need to just install a aux fan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Also to give you an idea the trans jumps up to about 195 and the coolant goes up to 235-240.

2. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

fan

change the clutch fan you will be all set
    just did my truck cost me $145.00 for the fan.

3. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

My did the same thing, same year/model, it has the updated fan clutch, but put it in tow/haul mode and it will take care of the engine temp. The trans isnt too hot @ 200F, the 700R4 is a beast.

4. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

Sorry I dont think its a 700R4. I'm confusing myself :dizzy:

5. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

Thank you so much

Thanks guys I knew there must be a way to fix this and I hate it when i get on the highway and all hell breaks loose. I will look into a new clutch fan tommorrow.

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Try carring your plow just above the ground. I have had this problem with my chevys before. I works for me.

7. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

he said he tried all position

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

He might have meant- straight, angle right, angle left. Philbilly probably was assuming the same thing.

9. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I am currently on my 5th chevy plow truck....all with the small block engines would get hot very easily. I had always wondered whether or not a rubber deflector would help prevent overheating as it would prevent the air from "rolling" in the plow and going over the hood. Any thoughts?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The snow deflectors do seem to help the overheating problems on many trucks, but not every truck. A lot seems to depend on the front end style of the truck, and how high the plow and truck are in relation to one another..

If your truck doesn't have the plow prep package, or even if it does it may not have the correct fan clutch on it which will create an overheat condition at highway speeds..the current design clutch is GM part# 15710101....
    .Do not let them sell you the old style plow prep clutch (p/n 22149877)

Swapping to this clutch will go a long way in preventing the truck from overheating..

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My 98 will hit 210 easily with the blade up and straight, as soon as I angle it a little I drop back to 150-170. I do have the plastic snow deflector on my plow.

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Sorry your right

That is what I though, after reading it again though, larryhd is probley right though. All usually means all.

I tried to get an answer a little while back on running an aux fan in front of the radiator and trans cooler, but no one was able to give me a good anwer on it this will work or not. The only reason that I think it would is because on out sprayer truck we have for spraying farm fields, we have 79 Chevy 3/4ton with a small block in it. The temp rises quick because you have to run in 4 lo to keep your ground speed down but RPM's up. I added two electric fans behind the grill in front of the radaitor and trans cooler. Presto, cool engine and trans.

I ran the idea by some guys on Dieselplace and the best that anyone could give me was to get a boot that mounts on the headgear of the plow an pushes the air down to the grill. Only one problem, no one can give me a place to find this contraption.

13. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

Thank you guys

If your truck doesn't have the plow prep package, or even if it does it may not have the correct fan clutch on it which will create an overheat condition at highway speeds..the current design clutch is GM part# 15710101....
    .Do not let them sell you the old style plow prep clutch (p/n 22149877)

Swapping to this clutch will go a long way in preventing the truck from overheating..[/QUOTE]

Hey B&B thanks for the part numbers, I am going to the dealer tommorrow to look into this, I called the dealer and they did say they did have a different clutch fan and it mentioned that it did recommend to change to help overheating. So I will get this tommorrow and hopefully this will solve the problem.
    AS for the plow package this truck did come with it. So it might come with the clutch your talkin about but we will see. THanks again.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to help sb, and that's why I mentioned that even if the truck came with the PP package, it still may not have the correct clutch on it as many truck's were sent out with the wrong clutch.

15. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

Thanks again

Ok just got my new clutch fan so now we will see if it corrects the problem. Thanks again B&B. The dealership wanted $185 for it but i got it for $76 at CarQuest. Should be the same thing. I will let you know how it goes.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I realize your were trying to save money by buying an aftermarket one but unless it's in a GM box WITH the current part # for the Plow Prep clutch, I don't think it's gonna make a ton of difference from the one that's on it currently..
    The plow prep clutch isn't just a "heavy duty" clutch..
    It's designed to engage at a lower temp than a normal heavy duty fan clutch due to the blockage of airflow through the radiator....in other words it's specifically designed for a truck with restricted airflow and not just a heavy duty or towing application like the aftermarket ones.

But I hope it does work out for regardless....

17. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

none

Yeah I thought about that and when I asked them about it they did match it to the GM part number and it says on the box Extreme Heavy Duty clutch fan. It came with a brochure and it mentioned how it will engage during restricted air flow. So hopefully it will work.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well then you might be good to go then... since it mentioned that it was designed for restricted airflow applications...I'm not familiar with CarQuest's parts as I don't have any local here but keep us updated on your findings and be sure to post the CarQuest part #, might save guys a little money over buying from the dealer if it works out good for you..

19. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

fan

when i got my new fan i was told to make shore i got the fan from GM
    The guy who told me to buy the fan from GM had tried a aftermarket fan and the truck still heated, he ended up buying a GM fan and it fixed his heating problem.

20. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I saw some patterns on a air deflectors for snow plows but haven't seen it sold. Anyone?