1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Temp Reading On R/v Mirror

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by millsaps118, Dec 23, 2006.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I noticed that the outside temp reading on my rear view mirror is off by about 10 degrees with my plow on in my '02 HD. I assume that the probe is located in the grill and that the plow restricts the actual outside ambient air from getting an accurate reading. My Buddie has an '06 HD but does not have this problem. Any other Chevy guys have this happen?

I also noticed that I can hear my cooling fan only under acceleration from slow speed. My engine temp will never reach the 210 mark on the gage so I am sure this must be normal on a 6.0 gasser. I don't think this is a concern with the DirtyMax diesel's though.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The incorrect temp reading on your rear view mirror is totally normal when running with the plow on. The plow affects the airflow in front of the truck where the temp sender is mounted just as you suspected.
  3. 353628

353628 Junior Member

I had a 2000 chev 2500 new style with a strait
    blade 7' boss, the temp display on the mirror would read 70 degrees even at 10 below when I was on the highway with the plow. I traded this year to a 2005 GMC and put a 8'2 Boss V plow on it. I expected the same problem but to my surprise the sensor on this truck has been reading correct. I was thinking it was the air flow change because of the V Plow. Maybe the changed to location of the sensor?

4. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Sensor is in the grill. I was looking through the manual about my winter front and it said that would cause the temp to read wrong since the sensor is loacated behind the grill. Plow blocking air flow would allow it to read higher too.
  5. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

Anybody find a remedy to this? Going down the road tonight with my 2007 1500 Classic, the outside temp was about 40 deg F but the rear view mirror temp read 71 deg F????
  6. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Ive had it a balmy 90 according to my display with the plow on when its really 10*...lol.. Go to dieselplace.com lots of info on moving the sensor
  7. quicknova

quicknova Member

I have an '06 and have this problem with the plow on..