1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

temp/ice melting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sleepless, Nov 24, 2005.

1. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

i use balk rock salt what is the lowest temp that you can melt ice useing rock salt ?????????????????????

2. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

According to some, it's 20° F...
    But, that can all depend. For example if the sun is out, the ambient ° can be a lot lower than 20° F and salt will still work. Also, it can depend on how much you apply, the amount of traffic, etc.
    I've used it down to about 10° F, just used a slight amount more than usual.

3. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

temp?

hello: ok if its 20 d or lower and it is 2:00 am thats is when i do most of my plowing for large lot like autozones which is a contract work thats all my work contracts they dont want the lot plowed unless theres 2 in of snow or more but if its less then 2 in and ice with snow drifts on top. we the snow removers know that salt just wont cut it so you must plow first to brack it up so the salt can try to do its job i cant get this thru to these people??????????????????????

4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

CVS wanted a 2inch trigger and sand salt this year to save money.Well we didn't take any CVS this season.All our banks are 0 inch trigger and straight salt payup .Went by a few CVS we had done the past few years this morning and the lot looks like a beach in florida :D

5. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

hello
    you lost me a little (2 in trigger,0 in trigger and straight salt payup, ) ?

earl

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Speaking of loosing people?????? People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!!!!!

7. paponte

paponte Senior Member

8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I think what he meant by 0" trigger, is basically a zero tolerance. That is how many of our contracts are. That is why I like the medical offices and such. They just say do whatever it takes to give us wet pavement. If there's a 3/4 of an inch there, then remove it. If it's slippery, then salt it. THESE are the places to have! They keep you busy.payup

9. DJC

DJC Senior Member

You are so right!!! BIG BUCKS in those!!!payup payup

10. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

I wish that these people that own big stores would just let us due the job the way we know how to due 15 years i think i know what works But the owners get advice from some harverd grad that never did this job before and the contract was invented. it dont madder because they will find something rong with the job any way sometimes

11. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

??????????????? someting rong with what im saying

12. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

are you a contracter

13. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

if they would just let use due the job the right way they would save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

14. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

cheep owners

I plowed a lot next door to me its a foodland store for 7 years (no contract) and they would never wont salt because its to much $ they sead its a faimly store the dad ,son ,daughter, i realy only talked to the son about the lot Then 3 years ago we had some rain mixed in with the winter and there lot started to get some thick ice in the middle i got know call for salt witch was what they sead they would due if they thot they needed it. Well then some old women fell and went to the hospit. and the next day they call I NEED SALT the funny part was it was the daughter witch dont know nothing about the son or dad saying its to much $ I told her ok ill be over. before i left the house she calls back to tell me there getting some one else to due the lot the right way I was speechless ????????????????????????? because someone fell and there going to court. So its always some one elses falt like us this was three years ago O the best part was the new guy was throwing salt out of the bed of the truck useing a shovel and salt was landing on the cars and there was pows of salt in the lot like a ant farm

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  15. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Why yes, I am a contractor. I'm just a little confused with what all this has to do with the original question that was asked... hence the reason for the confused faces. I would hope that after 15years in the business and using a product, you would know the effectiveness of it... or else why would you use it in the first place?

Rock salt is really ineffective below 20, and should be treated for temps below that point, or an alternative product should be used at that time. That would have given new meaning to your screen name :cool:

16. paponte

paponte Senior Member

#1, you should always have a contrct. #2 I would drop you too. It's YOUR responsibility as the PROFESSIONAL to assess the situation and make the correct reccomendations on what should be done. Why should the customer have to call you if there is ice on the lot? Isn't he paying YOU to keep it cleared? Why was there no phone calls made to the customer about the situation? Then you make fun of this new guy for throwing down salt? At least he DID put down an anti icing agent.

Maybe it's a good thing you didn't have a contract with this guy. That slip and fall would have been all over you like white on rice! :nod:

17. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Hooked on phonics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

you did not here me very well i pushed to salt the lot every year they sead noooooo $ was there problem i told them this was a problem so many times i Was blue in the face it took some one falling to get there ATTA: then they blame ME

19. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

MOPARs WERE ALWAYS THIS FASTES CAR YOU KNOW

I remeber racing in the 80s 90s at the dragstrips and remeber those gm and ford racers crying when that 1970 340 swinger would pull up to the line just like the 1970 340 4 speed duster that i have ( THEY ALL CALLED IT THE BIG BORE HUNTER) dont tack this the rong way im also a gm man for my trucks and every day cars but when it comes to raceing MOPAR was feared every were

20. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

i was asking because i just started with a company and thats the contract agreement they have with there people. so i was just asking if any one else was throwing salt at these temps because its not getting the lots cleaned the way that i did it in the past this comp. sead just due what they wont? even if the salt is lost