1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

temp. going crazy

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bassmaster, Dec 24, 2002.

1. bassmaster

bassmaster Junior Member

I was wondering what does it mean when your temp. gauge goes all the way up to the hot point then back down to the "N" part of normal and my heater been acting funny and also i've been going though alot of anti-freeze Thanks for the help!!!:drinkup:

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

You have a leak somewhere. Find out where and get it fixed. When the coolant runs low, the motor starts to run hot, but yet you dont get heat cause there is no coolant flowing through the heater core. Temp gauge will act funny too. Find the leak and get it fixed. By the way, what year, make, model vehicle? Mike

3. bassmaster

bassmaster Junior Member

Mike it's a 1993 ford f-150 v8 166,000 miles on it, I've replaced all of the hoses i could that i could think of could it be something else maybe?:confused:

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Check your oil for collant mixing in. Do you excessive steam from the exhaust? If yes to either question you most likely have a blown head gasket. If neither of those checks confirms anything, take it to a shop and have a compression test done. That should show which cyl the gasket is blown around.
    Dino

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I have the same suspicions as Dino, and I've seen cases where niether of the symptoms he lists exist. Under the right conditions, your compression will leak into the coolant passages and create air pockets, plus blow the coolant out the overflow.

Do a compression test of all cylinders, your readings should all be within 15 psi of each other.

6. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

bass,

Also good place to check is the heater core. Those things can leak and you never see the antifreeze at it leaks out and evaporates. Sometimes you can smell antifreeze in the truck and catch the occasional drip. There are also some smaller hoses that you may not realize carry coolant and get a pinhole leak in those and have a hell of a time finding it.

CMerrick

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

pressure test the coolant system looking for leaks. if the heater core was leaking there would be a fog film inside on the windsheild.when the heater is on if the coolant system holds pressure with no visible leaks check oil for a milky mix oil/coolant mixing together if everything checks ok replace thermostat could be boiling over then when it cools down the rad. would be low
    the last thing is put a dye in the coolant, drive it and use a black light to show where the dye is leaking out of.

cardoctor

go eagles:gunsfiring:

8. I think Dino is probably right on the money. When you start your truck cold it will "steam out" the water from the exhaust system until it dries up, (maybe 10-15 minutes) If it keeps steaming even after warming up you are leaking antifreeze into the cylinder through a bad head gasket.
    I had one do the same thing on a Chevy 1 ton w/ 454 I had.
    Also as Dino already stated check the oil for water. It may look like a whitish-yellow cream.
    Bob