1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

temp gauge?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, May 15, 2009.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I replaced the lower intake manifold gasgets and thermostat in my 1996 C2500 a few months back, and ever since the temp gauge will burry itself as far as it can go reading hot. It will only stay like that for a minute or two, and go back, so I never worry about it, well the other day it came on when I was aout 40 min. from home, and the gauge went hot, so I didnt worry about it, I stopped and checked when it didnt go down, and everything seemed fine. but the gauge is still like this, and it doesnt seem to be overheating. But like I say, the needle is beyond the hottest mark on the gauge. Im still getting heat, so Id assume the thermostat is working. What should I be checking?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing temp sender, but maybe someone with more experience will chime in. I presume you have plenty of coolant.

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Yep. coolant is fine, and everything else seems in check as well.

Maybe somebody can correct me here, but if the engine is running over 250 degrees, doesnt the ses light come on? Mines not on.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check your wiring?

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Not sure as to what I should be checking.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry, that wasn't very explicit. :dizzy: Check the connector on the sender, and the wire back to the harness.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And the coolant temp sender is located in the Riverside cylinder head right between the front and center exhaust manifold pipes. Since you just did the intake gaskets it's possible you either pulled/stretched the wires or didn't get it loomed correctly and it may be melting against the exhaust.

Disconnect the connector from the sender and use a jumper wire to connect the two pins in the connector together with the ignition on the run position. If the gage doesn't travel to the extreme left of the temp range then you have a problem with the harness/wires. If it does, then its a sender issue.