1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

temp. garage 4 salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by frankmd73, Oct 25, 2006.

1. frankmd73

frankmd73 Junior Member
    from buffalo

I was looking online and came across some temporary garages. 22x24x12.i thought this would be perfect to store my bulk salt under this winter. Has anyone ever used one of these for this purpose or have any insight. It looks to be very sturdy..thnks

2. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

we use one similar, the ones with the tarp covering...if thats what you are talking about...

we made a holding area about 3 ft high using mafia blocks and put the temp garage ontop of the mafia blocks. now we can get the sand with a skid steer and not damage the garage, and not be pushing the salt/sand all over the place.

works well, and depending how much sand/salt you keep in there, the skid can usually fit inside too, keeping it free of snow/ice when you show up at 3 am to load up.

3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

At last someone else knows them as mafia blocks. I have talked to some concrete guys and they give me some interesting looks when i tell them i need mafia blocks.:angry:

4. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

what else could you call them? lol :)

5. NASConst_land

NASConst_land Member

We used the "mafia" blocks i believe.. if what you are talking about are the 6'x2'x2' Concrete blocks. We are 3 high to create a 3 sided bin. From there we used an old greenhouse structure to create the roof. We had to modify, but it worked. We made it high enough to where the tandam dumps could still dump salt right into the bin. Covered the structure with greenhouse material, and dont have any problems with it. The front being open was a bit tricky but we made a tarped structure that is on pullies and weighted to go up and down. Seeing as we are stacked 3 high with the blocks we can get about 60 tons of salt in our bin.

We are thinking about buying one of the temp. garages to keep our treated salt in. They are cheap, and wont take up as much room. Seems like a good idea anyways.

6. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

We use the "temp" style garages for salt storage. You have to get a bit creative so the snow does not colapse it.

Foundation blocks(3 sides) anchored entryside open ( heavy tarp cover ) engineer it with a pully system to raise and lower. We also use some of our Geenhouse's for storing bagged salt ( nice because the sun heats it ).

7. sunriseturf

sunriseturf Member

From now on I going to call "Bin Blocks" "Mafia Blocks" ....Thats flat out fantastic. Good stuff.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

There are a lot of variations on the 'temp garage' out there.

My brother bought one of the ones listed on ebay for a couple hundred dollars, he got about a month and a half out of it before it collapsed under its own weight! (summer time, no snow load). The cheapie ones all seem to have 1 3/8" tubing.

He replaced it with a Cover It brand which had much heavier tubing and it has been flawless since..

That being said, they have 11' x 22' cheapies on sale at Canadian Tire this week, they supposedly have a 1yr warrenty on them. I was considering one to keep my International loader in for the winter so its nice and dry when I go to load my salter...