1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Temp agency

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by WinnEnterprises, Aug 15, 2007.

1. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

Not quite into plowing season yet, but until then we are looking for some new help. Our seasonal (college kids) help is out the door and we need to find replacements fast. A fellow contractor suggested using a temp agency, which I have mixed feelings about (mostly due to being uninformed). Anyone out there have any experience using a temp agency- pros/cons, etc.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the time them not showing up. Plus they don't know when they might get called.Most important not on the bus route.
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

im sorry i absolutely HATE working with temps. there is a reason they cant hold down a real job. i refuse to work with a temp.
  4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i checked into it for leaf season a couple of years ago and most places told me that thier temps are not allowed to run power equipment. that inculedes blowers.
  5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

temps dont want to work full time usually. thats why they are temps. and they may not show up or have reliable transportation even.
    temps dont make much. the temp agency gets a good chunk of the money hence they dont relate to what you are paying them for the job.
    temps come and go. if you avoid a temp and just hire someone then next year you may be able to get them back on board which is helpful since you will already have them trained. if you go with a temp you may be training a new temp every week.
    temps dont care if you fire them. the temp agency will just send them on another temp job somewhere else. they have nothing to lose.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I use the Iowa workforce center to get seasonal help. Check with your state. The guys work great and you can rely on them. I got 15 calls the first day the ad was posted and it was free.
  7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

One good thing about a temp agency is that they handle all the paper work. You don't have to w-4 them and then w-2 them.

You can get bad people not showing up for work any way you get them. With these guys you don't have to feel guility at all about fireing them if they don't work out. You get one of your buddies to recommend one of his buddies and when he doesn't work out and you have to fire him it can be another story.

If your business is not steady, (40hrs a wk every wk) you can tell them not to show up. Then they can go work for someone else.(or stay at home) With someone else, you might feel bad about not having work for them.

As with any employee, I wouldn't show them where you hide the keys to the garage or the trucks until you are sure you can trust them.
  8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I agree with quad. I use temps. Great system. No paperwok, no benefits issues. If I am not working a day for any reason I tell them not to show up. If I have a problem, I can send them home and have a new one out to me.

The idea that temps don't want to work full time or as hard is false. My wife worked as a staffing manager for a temp agency. They used to go out and find people, often taking them away from companies because they could offer better pay, lots of work and sometimes even benefits.

The temp agency is my first call when I need help beyond my full time employees.
  9. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

You have an odd agency.

here is my experience. I had a temp agency sell me a bill of goods, They where the best, their people 'faught' to get snow work. it paid better than anything else. They screened their workers and did everything. Their guys show up ready to go with everything but the tools they need. If not or they failed with in 2 hours no charge.

Here where the results.

1. of 10 guys hired, 2 showed up. with no gloves or hats, So I sent them home. 2 more were promised. of the remaining 8 they did less work than any of my normal 3 man crews per hour. I put them on a center that required 1 3 man crew to clear it in 4 hours. 3 hours later I fired them all.

About every three years I forget the experience and try a new one.