1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tembren Install Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wakesetter2001, Oct 19, 2004.

1. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 Member

I am installing tembrens on a 91 GMC pickup (independent front end). It has a 4" lift so I have to customize the mounts. What I need to know is do the tembrens need to contact the lower A arm when there is Zero weight on the front end, All the weight on the front end, or some of the weight on the front end. It seems to me if I did it with zero weight the tembrens would hold the front up off of the torsion bars and effect the ride. What does anyone know about this.

2. biggtruck

biggtruck Junior Member

I installed a set on my ranger last year, similar front suspension(torsion bars). The timbren did rest on the lower control arm when the suspension was un loaded. I did notice a slightly stiffer ride but not harsh at all. I would definitly install them on any ifs truck.
  3. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 Member

Thanks Biggtruck

Any other info would be great if anyone has some. I want to get them installed tomorrow if I can figure out how to do it. The weather guessers keep saying the S word.
  4. richardlewis

richardlewis Member

I installed a set on my 2004 chevy and they always touch but didnt effect the ride of the truck. Make sure when you install them you jack it up it was easier for me to pull the wheels off and I just turned them in to place. I tried to push them in but they wouldnt go.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Yes they do come in contact with the lower control arms when you have the truck on the ground.
    And that is without the plow installed.
    So make your brackets so they do or you wouldn't benefit fully from the Timbrens.
    :rolleyes: John...............................
  6. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

You may have to turn the shock bolt around, The dealer didn't do this on my 94 and the bolt wore through the rubber. Take a look at it and make sure the bolt will not rub on the Timbren.
  7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

they should look like this with the truck sitting on the ground:
  8. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 Member

Thanks all for the info,

I got them installed yesterday and they look great. Thank god for my girlfriends dad who just happens to have every piece of machining equipment that you can think of in his garage. If anyone is in the same situation and need the part built I can get it for them. I will try to post pictures later.