1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me why people think putting up more stakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KGRlandscapeing, Dec 24, 2008.

1. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Would help u get closer? I usally just mark the drive with 2 stakes maybe 4 if its a tricky one. And i get around pretty well. Then boom some people put in like 10 extra stakes and u cant move because ur hitting the stake. Anyway Merry christmas tomorrow guys and gals
  2. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

just run them over lol.
    Merry Christmas to you as well
  3. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Yeah Colligan has the right idea. I'd just plow them up into a pile and then they wont be seen till spring!
  4. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

seems a little unprofessional to me. i think i would take the time to pull them out and set them where they won't be covered up or damaged.
  5. ColliganLands

i was joking.
    i did hit a couple of the ones that i put up for my customers but not on purpose.
    on a serious note.. if the stakes are in the way take them down and place them by the garage/front door and then explain to the customer that they were creating an issue and you did'nt want to cause damage to your equipment or the stakes that they bought.
  6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

guess your talking about residential driveways? i see commercial places with 10x too many more than they need lol. We put out a dozen and i think thats too many sometimes. We've recently found out that every stake on a whole route in Trenton, NJ were stolen. I doubt its some vandals for these commercial accounts, they probably wouldnt have hit every building. But probably the last landscape company that was doing the lawn cutting into November since we put them up Oct 30th 2008.:realmad: theres $2.25ea and still no markers now.
  7. KGRlandscapeing

Ya i was talking about driveways lots are alittle easyer u stake the corners so you know where the curbs are. and u put them in the island so u dont find one of those in the middle of the night. Steering wheel dosent taste good. I just think home owners our nuts its like they have no basic reasoning skills. And you add that to a horrible design of a driveway and You get an intresting problem.
  8. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

just back over them. they're just stakes, they are dispensable.

I love the people that put out a bunch of stakes right where the snow is supposed to go, and expects you to push the snow around the stakes...
  9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting phone call at the start of the season. I staked a driveway I've done for years, primarily because I have subs doing it on occasion. Customer called to inquire if I had put them up, and he expressed concern that they (him & his wife) would have trouble navigating around the 4 stakes I placed on the main run into his wider parking area. I honestly didn't know how to handle his concern, other than requesting that at least 2 on the left or right remain there for defining a single edge
  10. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

okay....well Im not kidding. why would I waste my time getting out of my truck to pick up stakes that dent/scratch my shiny body when I could just push them into a snowbank......guess im not too professional
  11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i use tthem few and fare between... basicly , we start plowing long before the curbs cant be seen, in most cases. and the few times i have used them, then i have ppl asking why i cant plow all the way to the curb , on a island that im stacking snow
  12. ColliganLands

if theyre my stakes fine ill run them down and i did
    but if the customer paid the 2 bucks or whatever for them i make my "best" effort to not run them down. i wont get out of my truck unless im shoveling the walks too. so pretty much avoid the stake or "accidentaly" remove them
  13. KGRlandscapeing

Well thats my problm at 3 in the morning i dont wanna get out and move them. But i also dont want them denting the bumper. I just need alittle bigger now say 10 plus inchs all get rid of half of them stakes.
  14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I will try to avoid them but I will plow them in the pile when I have to.
  15. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I tell customers they should expect markers to be destroyed.
  16. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

ummmm aren't the stakes in the grass??? so you are telling me that this customer likes to run over his own grass to get into his driveway?? doesn't make much sense if you ask me
  17. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have a lady that put two extra stakes up next to her side steps so I can see where they are, that way I can get closer. Plowed her drive on Tuesday...she comes to the door said I put those there for you, can you get even closer. So I finish back dragging her drive look up and I am an inch away.How frickin close do you think I can get, any closer I would have hit them. She has a straight shot out of her driveway and this part doesn't even come into her driving path:dizzy:.:dizzy: