1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me why I should buy one?

Discussion in 'THE SNOWPLOW Snow Pushers / Shovel Discussion' started by Dr Who, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Ok, I have read all about how good they are, looked at the website etc.

I have never seen one in real life, never touched one or seen one work.

So I need to me convenced to spend 40.00 on a snow shovel.

Now I understand the difference in quality tools and cheap tools.
    I understand that good tools that last cost more, I am fine with that.

Shovels costing 40.00 bucks? yeah I am fine with that as long as I know they are worth it.

I dig a lot of holes in the summer, I mean a lot! I buy razorback shovels and only razorback shovels. They cost 30+ each, but they are worth every penny, so I need to have the same feeling about my snow shovels, so far I just use cheap crap and throw them in the trash, but lately I ahve been going threw 1-2 per snow storm. Either we are being to hard on the shovels (I treat them like I do my razorbacks) or what I bought this year was total junk..

So, convince me why I should buy a snowplow shovel....
  2. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

It's worth it if you need to do quick cleanups
    on long walkways and places you can't get
    with the plow. The wide path clears a lot of
    snow fast. The blade is solid and the tube
    is fiberglass. I got the 30" and want to order
    another. Chop ice as well with it. No signs
    of breakage. It's a tough shovel. Glad I got
    one and am going to order a second one
    in a different size.
    Not sure if you saw my thread but I made
    a short video.
  3. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

AHHHH! DiZZY....

That video gave me a headach/motion sickness LOL

Not alot of snow, but we usualy get not much more then that, 3-4 in the most snow we get normaly at a time...

I have seen the videos that they posted as well, I like seeing it work, looks like it works well. But like I said, no one around here has any not sure if its casue they do not know about them, or its the price. But then again, people here use leafblowers to clear walkways, its faster then a shovel.

I think I am going to try to find something local that looks about the same, some cheap-o type, test it out, see what I think about that style first.. then go from there..

One thing that I am concerned about is the warrenty, since there website is not complete yet...I am sure they are busy, but I wuld like to know more about them...
  4. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Don't think, just buy. They are the best shovel I have ever used and continue to be amazed in the quality and finish. They are light, don't rust and scrape so well... Cant say enough good stuff about them!
  5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

X2....Nuff said
  6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I ordered 4 more on the 22nd...got them on the 24th! They even threw in 4 wall hangers for being a return customer! After you get one, you'll wish you had it sooner. I carry a 36in with me.

Thanks TheSnowPlow!Thumbs Up
  7. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

You know, I have broken 3 more shovels in the last 2 snows, not much snow mind you. Just hitting cracks in the concrete and the shovels just break like a toothpick..

I bought one (cheap-o) the other day, used it one time and broke it....
    I have taken them all back, getting tired of it!

I am going to order one this weekend, try it out. but until then, I have to go get more crappy shovels to hold me over...
  8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I just bought a couple 2 weeks ago and they are the best shovel I have ever bought. They are tough and they wear down evenly along the edge. No more having the steel edge of them start to fall apart from those HD and Lowes shovels. I will be buying these shovels the rest of my life.
  9. GOFN2

GOFN2 Junior Member

Light, fast, strong like bull, they just kick butt. I have a 36er and it is great for anything up to 4 inches, unless I have had my wheaties. I have guys that are getting 3-4 years use out of them and the edges are still decent.
  10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What I dont get is how you goofs break so many shovels??????? One use? Are you getting them at the dollar store?
  11. Case 445

Case 445 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Just got a 30in and 24in Snowplow shovel and i have to say they are the best out there. I would buy shovels at wall-mart and they would last about 4 storms and be shot. I do a lot of work on brick sidewalks and these shovels slide right over the uneven brick with no problem. From now on I'm sticking with the SNOWPLOW !!payup
  12. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

You have to be a MAN to break a $10.00 shovel in one use :)

either that of the shovel is a POS from some small Asian country no one has heard of....
  13. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Yep, I agree, well put. Just buy a couple different sizes and you will thank us later. They don't bend the ends like a metal one which is nice. When you hit a spot in the sidewalk they absorb the impact a bit and flex out of the way. They are quieter than steel and have an incredibly low friction coefficient on the sidewalk which makes it super easy to push. The stirrup handle is super nice too, much easier than a straight stick. Mine are gonna last forever if I don't loose them.

14. Outdoor Pros

Outdoor Pros Member

I've had mine (3 of them) for two years and no matter how much abuse my sidewalk guys give them, they are still like brand new. I even accidentally backed up over one the last storm, blade and all and it didn't do a thing to it. I think the best thing about them is how easily they slide across rough cement compared to metal edges (think saving wrists). Bottom Line: I will NEVER buy a different brand of shovel.
  15. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Well I finily broke down and bought a 30" . Just ordered it, so I may not even get to use it this year, our winter is just about over...

I hope its worth the 56 bucks (7 bucks shipping) I spent on it!
  16. Mark71

Mark71 Junior Member

I bought the 30" great shovel, even when they shiped it with no handle. Call them up and no hassle they just sent one the same day.
  17. hav0k

hav0k Junior Member

18. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

I just bought a 36in based on the good reviews I've read. They seem to be well made, but I am somewhat concerned about the plastic brace that attaches the handle to the blade. Especially with such a wide blade, I'm concerned that brace is too weak if I put too much weight on only one side of the blade. Anyone ever break one of the wider shovels?
  19. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I have a 48" and 36" don't worry it won't break. I've used mine in -10 degree F and it didn't break. Your arms will break before that brace does. Did you know these shovels are the only thing tougher then Chuck Norris...
  20. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

First of all, I dont understand how people break shovels. And all I have heard it compared to is metal edged shovels (which I would never use in the first place) I have always used this type of shovel pictured below for under 6", how does the 2x price justify the snowpolw shovel? I also like that there is a lip on the side of what I use to better carry the snow when needed. I saw the patio video, I have no need to ever do that, im not gonna spend that much time and effort on something like that, or let one of my properties get like that in the first place.

I have been using these for at least 10 years, usually get at least 2 seasons out of them (I have at least 2 that go out each storm). only had one handle crack because it got ran over. they get used until they wear down to an unusable point

I am sincerely curious to hear someone who has used this type and the snowplow