1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tell me what you think. (back blade)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cr252many, Jun 19, 2009.

1. cr252many

cr252many Junior Member

We spent last winter building this back blade for UTV/ATV/Mini trucks. It was built and tested on a Polaris RZR. I know the picture doesn't give a lot of detail...my question is there applications for commercial or would it best fit personnel?

2. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

I could see a commercial use in appartment complex where you do the sidewalk. Back right you to the doors and drag away.

J & B Lawncare.
  3. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

could maybe be used for commercial clearing of sidewalks but depends on the strength of the materials
  4. cr252many

cr252many Junior Member

Blade is 12ga and all the hardware is cut out of 1/4".
  5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

What was the deepest snow it was used in and how did it work when you tested it?

I would think to use it commercially it would have to fit the side walk, otherwise you have a sod stripper. how wide is it?
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I see what appears to be wear shoes on the first pic, but not on the second pic. Got to have those. 12ga is too girly :p......unless you use it only once in a while on your own driveway. 7ga minimum if you want any life out of it. I would suggest going with a real cutting edge for durability.

It most certainly can be used commercially, but like WIPensFan stated it must fit the sidewalk or you'll be doing as much harm as good.

I suggest putting a front blade on it also. If you just roll with the back-blade you will be packing down the snow first before you scrape.......leaving tire tracks. Not much capacity either with just the back-blade.

Where in Michigan are you? I'll hook you up with more work than you can handle if you want to get serious with it.
  7. cr252many

cr252many Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys...we have this and front blades on ATV's UTV's and mini trucks. The rear blade is 60" wide and I use regular steel cutting edge as well has hardened steel ones also...depending on who is buying them (i.e. private or commercial). We ran all our blades last winter here in West Michigan so up to 12" of snow. We had a decent snow fall last season. Just finished putting a front plow on a Big Red yesterday. This one is going to a local Honda dealer.