1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me all about a 91 Silverado Ext Cab

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 84GTV6, Mar 8, 2002.

1. 84GTV6

84GTV6 Junior Member

I'm looking at buying a 91 Silverado Ext cab. It's got 240,000 miles on it. About 100,000 on the engine and a freshley rebuilt transmission.

Yeah, I know it's a 10 year old truck with a bunch of miles but.....

The guy is asking $3500.

Am i just askin' for trouble? It will be replacing my 81 GMC. I need an ext cab so the young'uns can go with when Daddy takes the truck.

So, any hints or advise? Should I snatch it up or run?!!

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

There are a lot of things you need to think of here,the conditon is very important,more so than the miles at this point.On my equipment pics,you'll see my black'grey 91 GMC 2500 LD,i bought it 2 yrs ago,for 6500 with the 3 yr old western unimount,the truck had 88K on it when i bought it,so you might want to compare the 240K truck to a lower mileage one.The trans, rear end,t case,and most other stuff is original,I assume?.It sounds like a fir price if the body is solid,and the dorrs hang rightif its falling apart id pass.Just keep in mind,at any point,you may need to drop a lot of good money into that truck,to keep it going.I cant say much though my brother drives a 94 GMC Sonoma 2wd,with 297K miles on it,and its all original,and is stone reliable.if you have the mechanical abiltys,and time to do most of the repairs as they are needed,it may be a good deal for you.
  3. Rick Pilgrim

Rick Pilgrim Junior Member

we have a 93 2500HD ex cab 8'box 4x4 that has 238k miles. the only thing I hate is that 6.5 diesel thats in it. If what your looking at has a 6.2 or 6.5 well, the only thing I can say is RUNNNNNNN. My brother has a 90 he tows his bobcat with,and his is a 350 5spd and dragged the bobkitty around for 283k before he had to rebuild it. watch for rust around the back wheels and the lower cab panels, 'cause usually the back frame is getting weak. A few guys around here plow with 1500's and they keep my bud Jeff busy doing tranny's and rearends,but those guys are doing 250-300 car parking lots. for that kind of cash,I'd buy it if it looks drives,runs ok 'cause in central WI you are lucky to get a 77 IH Scout with a plow for that kind of cash) Good Luck
  4. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Previous to the new model chevy hd's, I don't think I have ever seen a 2500hd. I have seen 3500hd's, but never a 2500hd. Are those things rare?
  5. Rick Pilgrim

Rick Pilgrim Junior Member

91 Chevy Truck

They started making HDs in 1988. A 2500HD is basically the same as a 3500LD with single rear wheels. They use the same front suspention,frame and have the heavy rear axle where the hub sticks out past the rim-like a heavy truck. One of the easy ways to tell them from a regular 3/4 ton is the HD's have factory flares around the wheels. another is that axle hub, and they look(and are) wider on the front than the back. Also, in the D.S. door post,it will say 8600GVW. They are not the easiest to find, as we had to go from Wausau WI down to Flannagen IL to get ours, and the one my brother is going to part with had to go to Madison WI for his. Most of the time RVr's have 2500HDs to tow trailers. Check e-bay. You can e-mail me if you need more info-Rick