1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tell me about monarch

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clark lawn, Feb 10, 2010.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

im looking at a new truck that has a monarch pump and controler, do they have their own plow also? i have never seen a plow like this it looks real heavy duty. are these good plow setups?

2. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I got a Monarch pump on my dump trailer , when I built the trailer they where suppose to be top line, but that's been several years ago. I would check part availability.

3. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

No they just make the motor part.Various companies use them .You have to have room under the hood to use them.Parts are hard to find.When they work they are great.If you get it for a good price go for it.

4. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

They are high quality and, I think, work well if you dont plumb the lines backwards (no scematics included). McNeilus uses them on their garbage trucks if that tells you anything about the quality.

5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

runs my back plow and my dump bed good stuff

6. starc

starc Senior Member

That's what I have running my Western Plow, don't care for the Western pumps myself.

I'm running the M683 and have had the same pump for about 14 years now without any trouble at all.
    Code:
    http://bsmifs01.airlinehyd.com/airline/Hydraulic/Monarch/dc/Model%20M-683.pdf
    Here are others
    Code:
    http://bsmifs01.airlinehyd.com/airline/Hydraulic/Monarch/dc/monarch%20D.C.%20Hydraulic%20Power%20Systems_index.pdf

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Next year the new Meyer plows will have Monarch power units.

8. steeleman

steeleman Junior Member

I have a Monarch unit. I highly recommend them. Monarch does not make plows; they just make hydraulics. I have been doing commercial snowplowing for 19 years. I have used Western, Meyer, and Monarch units. I have even used live hydraulics for many years. I believe the Monarch is the best I've used. I like using a Monarch unit with a Western Pro plow. I only use straight blades. I have many big parking lots in the last 19 years and I have found no use for a V blade. V blades are for dummies that no nothing about snowplowing.

9. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

I got my first Monarch pump over almost 40 years ago. Monarch Hy-lo, belt driven.

I still prefer belt driven, less hassles for the electrical system and alot simpler to maintain.

Monarch was the oldest family operated business in the state of Michigan, they were sold two years ago to a German outfit. Still, they are older than General Motors, Ford, or Chrysler.

They make excellent products, their support is wonderful, and parts are easily available.

I would take Monarch over Fisher, Myers, or Western any day. They are the best of the best.

10. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Mason Dynamics in Grand Rapids MI repairs & rebuilds Monarch pumps & valves etc. I believe they are the designated repair facility for Monarch. If you have any questions about the unit or parts availability call them and ask for Jeff. We have used Mason Dynamics for over thirty years and they have always treated us honestly and fairly.

Herm Witte

11. jdcron

jdcron Junior Member

Hey Starc, I have the M693, maybe same setup not sure. But a question for you I hope you can answer. My plow goes down really slow, can't find a solution do you know how to make it go down quicker?

12. jdcron

jdcron Junior Member

Steelman, Can you help me with this problem? I have the M693, I hope you can answer. My plow goes down really slow, can't find a solution do you know how to make it go down quicker? It is electric with hydrautic

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

i know how.
    but you will have to ask.

14. jdcron

jdcron Junior Member

Monarch Slow Going Down

Snofarmer, , Can you please help me with this problem? I have the M693, I hope you can answer. My plow goes down really slow, can't find a solution do you know how to make it go down quicker? It is electric with hydrautic

15. jdcron

jdcron Junior Member

Snofarmer , Can you please help me with this problem? I have the M693, I hope you can answer. My plow goes down really slow, can't find a solution do you know how to make it go down quicker? It is electric with hydrautic

16. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Snofarmer only responds to pretty please with sprinkles on top

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I don't need the "please" but sprinkels can be nice at times.

I haven't messed with that model.
    some use a orifice that can be changed out to control flow instead of a flow control valve.
    if it does not have a valve to adjust.
    they mike like 5 different sizes orifices for different flow rates.

we all like pics, got any pics of this unit..

18. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have a fenner set up that had an orfice in the manifold where the lift hose connects to. Once I changed all the fittings to AN when i converted from underhood horizontal mount pump to a verticle mount pump on the uprights, my plow would slam down. I got a parker control one way valve with a dial on it. It works great. I just got my driveway paved and I made it drop slower for my driveway. When I get to a site where I want it to drop faster to knock the snow off the blade I just go out and turn the dial counter clockwise. It takes 5 seconds to do it.
    You can see it in this pic if you follow the lift cyl hose to the pump set up.
    [​IMG]

19. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Clarkie-google Monarch m693--then look for Harsh International 877-427-7448 Trouble shooting guide. Once you read the 23 page PDF, things will be crystal clear to you. Upon your education you will be able to field all questions on the 693 on Lawnsite with authority. All I can say is that setting the check valves are very sensitive and require patience. Having the unit upside down and backward while standing in 3 ft of wet snow only adds to the challenge but there is a app for that