1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Telehandlers??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by SnoPro Inc, Dec 9, 2010.

1. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Anyone use them? Bob Cat JD Cat? Seem like they would be nice, being able to reach out 20+ feet.

2. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

years ago i used a cat one they work good for stacking and loading but not for pushing they power out to quick i think

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That's wierd, I was just talking about this today. Found a JCB cheap with bucket and forks, has skidsteer plate. It would be nice to have around, and I assume would push an 8-10' box............

4. rwilliamson

rwilliamson Junior Member

Which JCB?
    We've been plowing and stacking about an acre with a little 520-20 since 2007.
    It has a light 6 ft. grapple bucket and an adapted 7' Meyer,which is a bit small for light stuff,but about right when it's deep and drifted
    R.

5. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've never run one for snowplowing but use to load ships with them while in the military. I dont think extending it each time to reach the 20ft is a practical way to stack snow. Just from observing others and looking at the rental yard brochures its push on newer snow contractors to get winter use out of them. If I owned one for other uses in the summer though I could see its merits.

6. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

I was just thinking it may be nice to have a crab walk and 4 wheel steering, along with a long boom. But then again i have never done snow with one, so i cant disagree with you guys. that and they go pretty quick, they'd be nice with a plow maybe not so much a pusher

7. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

We run a JCB 524-50

with a 10' Kage and a Salter mounted on the rear. We will get some photos posted, but it is an incredible machine, best of all worlds in our opinion, it's 85 HP and it has no issues with the 10' Kage.

8. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

I'll look forward to seeing photos of it!

9. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

With crab walk your going to want to only use it a few times and it will slow you down engaging going back to normal steering. Even with four wheel steering its still a clumsy machine just to long and will have visiability issues. Remeber its just it doesnt have the cycle time of normal loaders. Just trying to help because I think you'd be much happier stacking with a proper loader. Its a great platform for forklift and material moving on a jobsite that doesnt require the speed snowplowing does.

10. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

You bring up a good point. maybe a normal loder is the way to go.

11. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Based on the performance of ours

I would respectfully disagree. It also depends much on your applications, ours are well suited for a telehandler. We have great ground speed (19 mph), great ground clearance, with 4 wheel steer the manuverability is awesome, roomy cab, and the ability to stack snow is a bonus.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

13. rwilliamson

I also disagree.
    I doubt that ours,actually a 520-50, will go 19mph,,maybe 12-15 and will turn a 10' circle.
    There is no crab steer,but it hasn't been a problem.It's 4 wheel only.
    It will lift over 5000lb,16' up,but when plowing and stacking,I use the boom fully retracted,unless I'm pushing back a tall bank.
    Extending and retracting is slowish,but up and down cycles are pretty good
    I regularly plow the lot in 3rd after a light 6".
    I would say that a machine that is halfway between a skidsteer and a backhoe with the lift capacity of a decent forklift as well as pretty decent auxiliary hydraulics,is something lots of guys should look at.
    This unit was a major step up from an old H60 Payloader.
    R

14. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I still think even in JDDaves video it looks slow and awkward when your using the bucket/arm. I cant imagine its any cheaper then a comparable loader either. I understand the think out of the box ideas and respect other experience but I'll still dont see a role for it unless you had one just sitting around for other stuff.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There is nothing slow or awkard about it. The snow we were pushing was about as heavy as possible and he's lifting it slowly because we didn't want to break every rubber block on the sectional pusher. The 3800 will keep up to any comercial loader it's size. This is also a snow only machine. I bought it brand new so I knew what it could do before I purchased it.

16. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I will chime in here. I bought a bobcat versahandler this summer I believe it weighs 16000#'s and rated lift is 7000#'s We built a 5 yard bucket for it in the shop last month and last week I actually got to run it loading trucks with snow for several hours and I have to say I can load trucks just as fast as one of my wheel loaders with the same size bucket the only thing I noticed as different is if the pile gets tight you just dont have the weight to ram it apart as well but I personally thought it worked very well. And for having around the shop, incredibly handy for many things. I really like the machine. Pros 18mph travel speed 4wheel steer, good cab, uses less fuel than my loaders, handy for many other things (great for picking the good apples from the top of the tree) also very good for putting snow in a deep ditch where you cant drive. Cons the boom tends to create a blind spot to the right when in certain positions.

17. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Ours is a 2009

524-50, and yes it does go 19 mph. As always, each to their own based on their application. We ran a skid on this route for a few years, and the telehandler beats it hands down, not even close... Plus we can push back piles with the reach and put the big snow bucket on to load with. I am just making an observation based on our situation, and mentioning that nobody should discount their abilities.

18. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

They seem like a good machine for snow removal. I think a tractor or loader will out perform a small to medium telehandler but not one like JD Dave's. The only problem with the smaller ones is that most of them do not have a float function so you would be adjusting the plow all the time unless you have a chain lift mount for the plow.

19. rwilliamson

gd8boltman
    I believe you've misunderstood me.
    I agree with you.
    At the top I stated that we have 520-20,then I corrected that in the later post to OURS is a 520-50.
    Awkward,but that's me.

Jelinek
    Mine has the equivalent of a chain lift, a steel tube with stops welded on(poorly), slides inside a slightly bigger tube.
    R

20. Marek

Marek Senior Member

They are great in the right application. We have used a bobcat handler for 8 yrs on one job that we have to reach out and dump over a fence. The bobcat machines hold up very well. A friend has a Cat that has 260 hrs on it and is on his second boom,and had to fight Cat to stand behind it.