1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Teens who actually plow....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TheSurm112, Mar 3, 2005.

1. TheSurm112

TheSurm112 Junior Member

Hey....my friend and I who are both 16 have a very sucessful snow plowing business and we always wonder if we really are the only kids this young who do this. We have an f250 with an 8 foot plow and a quad with a 50 inch plow as well as several snowblowers. We started out about 5 years ago on a quad doing small driveways and sidewalks....from there business has just exploded. Our work is centered in south jersey. We now have over 20 residential accounts and about 6 nice sized parking lots....i know most of you will look at this and laugh and think were dangerous, but truth be told we have yet to mess one thing up knock on wood......Are we really the only kids in this line of work?

2. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Not bad!

16 is pretty young. Well, that's about the youngest you can be since ya have to be able to drive! I think some other guys on here are 18 and 19.

But there is certainly nothing wrong with that! As for being dangerous, I doubt it. If you were dangerous, you wouldn't have so many accounts. I'm sure there are older people who do more damage than you (especially since you have none). Sometimes being paranoid can be a good thing.

Do you have a registered company and everything? If so, then kudos to you guys!

3. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I started working at 15 with a snow company as a jumper or shoveler.My dad owned the company and i've been with it ever sense and now I own it.Congrats on your young entrepreneurship it's a blessing if you know how to operate it correctly... payup

4. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 Member

I'm out plowing at 16 too. People think that we're to young, but in reality, we are going to be much more aware and cautious than someone who has been doing it for years. I know this because that's how my dad is. He has been in the biz for so many years, he gets careless, on the other hand, I am out there attentive and cautious. I have yet to hit a car or object and I am driving around a loooonnnngggg 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Ext. cab long bed. I also have a few years experience running the skidsteer for my dad. That helped alot. I am accident free currently, and plan on staying that way. :cool:

5. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I started plowing when I was 18 and I haven't stopped yet here I am 20. I started the same way you did TheSurm112 and have gone from there. Haven't had any complaints from my customers yet KOW.

6. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

Your not the only teens that plow. I got my drivers license December 2, 2003. The very next day we got an 18inch storm. I had so much time to learn. Yeah right!! Took it real slow the first 8-9 inches. I had 20 residentials last season and this season I expanded to 50 residentials and some apartments. 17 years old now. And yes i do pay taxes and insurance. The business was created under my Dad's name being I am not eighteen yet.

7. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

When I was 16 I was plowing with a 1978 F-250 with 8' Western, had 40 customers the first year. Been plowing ever since. Keep up the hard work, you will do well. You should be proud of what you are doing, most kids don't want to work these days.

8. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

Im 17 started plowing last year when I was 16. I have 2 trucks both 1985 chevys with 7.5 fisher plows,cant kill them old chevys!

9. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

i just turned 16 in september. i have been plowing around the neighborhood (10 or more houses every storm) for a few years now on my craftsman tractor that i replaced with a gravely tractor which is a little smaller than a sub-compact. i will have my license by next fall and will be plowing with a S-10 and a meyer. i also mow lawns in the neighborhood (10 houses) and hope to make the company legit soon and expand. sorry if i am taking work from the pros but i need to start some where.

10. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Im 18, have about 22 drives and it can be tough but I dont have a problem. People are always concerned I wont show and I am one of the more reliable guys around. This past week I covered another guys route which brought me to 34 drives, thank good Im on vacation. I have a 96 Silverado 1500 with a 7.5' fisher minute mount. I have made enough money so far to pay tuition for college (excluding housing), And its only the begging of march. I just leased an 05 Sierra 2500 HD which will be real nice to plow with when I get my mounts, BTW any one have a set possibly?
    Thanx
    James

11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, iam 18 this is my thrid season plowing 37 driveways for money. The first time I plowed I was 13 and between 13-16 I plowed the large area of private property at my house in NH and my own driveway in MA if the plow truck that now stays in NH was in MA.

I love it, I plan on doing it for a long time.

12. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

16 :waving: Started last winter when I was 15 and absolutely love it. Right now I use my dad's truck to plow a large parking lot. Next winter I hope to have a Bronco with a plow and go out doing residents. Legally of course. People who say we cant do a good job plowing are all wrong. My dad let an employee who plow who has been plowing for his uncle for years plow the lot one day until I got there, and he did such a bad job. He ended up going to fast and sliding the truck sideways knocking a 500lb concrete block over with the corner of the plow. After that I am the only person besides my dad of course that are the only people who can drive it. :D

13. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

I started plowing when i was 16 and graduated from the snowblower also. I now own my own company and i got to say starting young has given me a huge headstart compared to other guys my age. I respect teens plowing and think it is great. There aernt that many teens out there that are motivated enough to go out and do real work.

14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You have that right, many of my friends have no desire to be anywhere but home playing video games or sleeping during a snow storm. Would not want to plow, shoveling or any physical work FORGET IT they will not do it.

15. KUJAWA RSK

KUJAWA RSK Member
    from PA

I started plowing parking lot's at 13 I was using a on site truck.
    so i did not take the truck on the road. but i did get stop by a cop one
    time and he let me go. know i am 20 and have a snowplowing co. and have
    25 commercial plowing job love what i do will never do any thing els.
    payup snow me the money payup

16. TheSurm112

TheSurm112 Junior Member

Wow.....thats actually really kool to kno other kids are doin this stuff....i absolutly love it and I cant see it ever getting old.....except for plowing all night and going to school the next day....its worth it tho.....as for if ive had any problems....none.....stuffs going tooo well.....i keep getting referals to more commercial parking lots....Now I just need morrrre snowwww

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My oldest son is 15 and he can't wait till he's 16 to help plow. He want's his own truck and plow. More power to you. Do a good job and follow the contract with the customer and you can go far. It helps with collage cause you know what work is and the satisfaction of a job well done. You have real experience of working and running a business. Stay in school and you will do well!

18. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I started out at 13 with a John Deere 214 w/plow/blower. At 18 I got a B7500 Kubota w/plow/blower/sweepster. I do just driveways that go straight up or straight into the garage. No one wants to touch them. 24 accounts and another 8 or so wave down jobs. Many people didn't think I would be reliable. But I am one of the most reliable guys out there. Everyone is done by 7:30. Heck I am the only guy that does sidewalks around here. I get made fun by everybody that I run a tractor. But they stop laughing when they see me clear a driveway off faster than they can with a pickup. Super cab long bed picks up with 7.5' meyers and tight curvy driveways just don't mix.

Next year I will have a new truck with a blizzard plow and be working as a Sub. But all my residential accounts will still be done with my little kubota. Just someone else will be running it.

19. fordman89

fordman89 Junior Member

i'm 16 and have been driving a plow truck since i was 11 and riding in one for as long as i can remember

20. DieselRules

DieselRules Junior Member

How do you plow? In NJ you have to be 18 to get your unrestricted license and 17 for your "Cinderella license".