1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Teenager planning on shoveling snow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mafiaboy3, Nov 2, 2007.

1. mafiaboy3

mafiaboy3 Member

Hey everyone,

Well I had posted 2 threads on some general issues with plowing.Thank-You to everyone who responded. Snow shoveling seems like something I'd like to do!

People told me to go with flyers. Although my friend tried putting flyers in local mailboxes for lawnmowing and never got 1 call. I was also told word of mouth is good. I'll just start with a couple of neighbors and then hopefully other neighbors will like my service and prices.

Now here in Montreal, Quebec it either doesn't snow or it snows to the point where there's so much that schools have a snow day.Last year it snowed mostly in April, although the snow would melt 2 hours later. We use to get snow regularly, but global warming seems to have taken it toll on Montreal.

Considering it would do the same this year( its 5 degrees right now and not announcing snow for next 2 weeks) how much would you charge lots that fit around 2 4x4's in width and in length? Should I offer them salt for more $ a year? Should I do the stairs.Should I do contracts or charge per push? In the end how much should I charge?

As you can see this is a brainstorm, I hope the expert plowers can help me. I'll be happy with 3-4 people to plow snow for. It'll sure beat working infront of the cash at Mcdonalds...
  2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

25 bucks or loonies or whatever you quebecers use. No contract. Per snow. Yes on the walks and the porch, and I'll take a number two with cheese, and a pepsi.
  3. mafiaboy3

mafiaboy3 Member

lol of course quebec is dollars. 25$ sounds reasonable. Anybody else?
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What does "fit around 2 4x4's " mean? As far as advertising, keep them out of mailboxes (I think Canada has approx the same laws as the US about this). Go talk to your neighbors - you'll get a lot better response. Be careful offering salt to replace shoveling steps and walkways. It'll keep them a lot "cleaner" and won't be as slick as you get with just shoveling. You might try this out on your own steps so you have a better idea of what you're talking about when you talk to them. For salting, charge at least twice what the salt cost you. But have some practice with it, cause it's easy to put too much down and be overcharging people. Putting too much down will also leave a white residue and result in cracked concrete. So, you might be better off just sticking with the shoveling.

Stick with "per push". You're too young to enter into a contract, anyway. Save them for when you've gotten some experience cause it's easy to trip your self up with a contact.

Finally, your comment on global warming shows you really don't have an idea about it. Global warming is resulting in the average temp being warmer by miniscule parts of a degree per year. True global warming effects would actually make this part of the world colder, not warmer, as icebergs break off and float south.
  5. Leisure Time LC

Leisure Time LC Senior Member

I think its reasonable:nod:
  6. mafiaboy3

mafiaboy3 Member

you can choose to believe me or not about global warming. Montreal's climat and temeprature has drasticically changed. Winds have gotten stronger, MUCH fewer snow, every year we hit records by 1-2 degrees higher. We are the ones living closer to the melting icebergs than you guys. Im telling you from experience that Montreal has gotten its share of global warming.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry about the idea of flyers. Thinking about it latter it made little sence. Maybe the way around this is the buisiness card approach. Make some simple cards on photo paper on your computer. Go around your local niegbourhood knocking on the doors of people you know and get the word out. Another idea is to put a snow shovel handle in the ground in front of your house with a sign and a contact ##.

So what are you going to use shovel or blower. If a blower look at the local classifieds or aution sites for a deal.

Keep thinking it out and don't give up!!

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Great advice so far, and this question brings up something mentioned in another thread. I never feared a little work when I was young, and I fought my parents getting a snowblower (Toro 5hp in the late 80's). When I began using it, the world of snow removal got so much brighter! Granted, I used to be out at all hours, just like the plow guys (and snowblowers obviously make more noise than a truck or a shovel), but I made a great name for myself, and built up some clientelle that I brought with me when I got into snowplowing with a truck.

Business cards are a great professional way of offering service, and someone once told me that "every handshake gets a business card." Introducing yourself to people you don't know in the neighborhood will help, and offering a card to everyone you speak with will look good. The card should be simple (but more than simply "My Card," which is what I saw someone do), including your name, service(s) offered, phone, and email maybe. That way you're more than just "that boy down the street.... what's his name, and where's his number?" Either now, or maybe as time goes along, consider things like refrigerator magnets, holiday cards, yard signs, etc. The sky is the limit, especially starting so relatively early. I was shoveling driveways at 9, but very few ever have the ambition at 15 anymore. Good job!

9. mafiaboy3

mafiaboy3 Member

haha thnx again! Ive been reading that knocking on doors has a pretty high sucess rate. That's what I'll do.

Also I don't think the snow plowing industry is as saturated over here as it is in the states. I see many people complaining that there is more supply than demand for this. Doesn't really seem to be the case around here.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Better talk to some of your friends. Better to have too much help than not enough. Have you talked to your parents for some start up costs (blower). "Hey dad loan me some cash for I'm getting more work than I can handle with a shovel !!":cry: :dizzy: xysport

Look on the net in your area. There has to be a blower out there.

Keep on Looking