1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tecumseh snow kings

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by EnviroTeam, Oct 11, 2006.

1. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Does anyone know if Tecumseh makes snow king engines to different specifications for different outlets. i.e. is the 10 hp Tecumseh engine on an MTD snowblower made to the same specs as the one on a Toro? I had a generator years ago that I bought through one of the discount retailers..like wal mart or cosco. It had a briggs engine and when I had to get it repaired the repair shop found out that I would have to wait for the parts until briggs made another production run of those engines for the discount retailer because it has slightly different (read as "cheaper") specs.

Anyone ?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It is common that makers such as Techumseh, Honda, John Deere etc make products for the "chain stores" using different components than used for the products they sell through other outlets, including their own. (A JD you buy at HD is not made the same as a JD from a JD dealer). I know Honda makes (or made?) three different models of 5.5hp engines - one which I heard referred to as a "throw away".

3. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Thanks Mick, that's about what I figured, just trying to make myself feel better about the Toro Power Max blower I just bought, I paid about $500 more for it than I could have got a similar off brand one from WalMart. With that little bit of confirmation from you I think I made the right decision.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Definately - and I'm not familiar with Tecumseh line of motors. I don't know where you bought it, but the other thing to consider is followup service. For example, the woodsplitter I bought came from a dealer who has a full maintenance shop and techs I have called with questions. They would guide me through it over the phone. Once I went there for help when I backed over it with a 4000 lb tractor and broke the gauges. They did the best they could - it wasn't their fault the splitter manufacturer had switched gauge suppliers.

The dealer I bought the chainsaw from is still helping me ten years later.

Try calling WalMart when you need service or tech advice.

5. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

I hear ya...that was definitely the other thing I considered. I asked the dealer where I was buying it (I picked it up today !!) they said that when the snow is falling they are open 24 hrs and if my machine breaks they will get me out there with a loaner until mine is back in operation. Let's she WalMart match that little trick...lol