1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Technique for driveways (using rear blade)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fast Eddie, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Junior Member

For those of you plowing driveways with rear blades, do you make a single pass and leave or do you back up and widen the approach? 90% of my drives are no more than 8' wide, with very little flare at the approaches (maybe 10' at the widest point). I always back up on a 45 deg. angle, drop my blade, and pull out. Should I bother? If I could do just one pass, I could shave at least 45 min. off my route time.

Driveway Schematic.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Actually, By Law, you are supposed to put the snow back onto the customers property and not take it out into the roadway and do the "i'll ose it down the road" trick. And by having to put it up onto the parkway, you will end up widening the approach any way.

3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Junior Member

Actually Crash, I roll it up onto the clients boulevard. There is nothing illegal about that.

4. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

I pile the snow in the grass at the end of the driveway, so the corners get cleaned up.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

actually thats illegal also, your are not suppose to remove any snow from the property, push across a road or plow an area along the curb line.

6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

80% of my drives have 8ft driveways too. It sucks when you have a 3/4ton and a 8ft blade. But it works. I dont have a back blade, but I do basically 2 passes, and then widen the approach and put it on the customers lawn.

7. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Junior Member

I just think it looks sloppy when I pile it up at the approach. You inevitably tear up the grass, and if you get a large buildup of snow, it becomes a blind spot for my client to pull out of the driveway. To roll it up onto their boulevard looks better, and if you are lucky enough to be upstream of the traffic right-of-way, it keeps the city plow from burying the approach too badly. Plus, it is WAY quicker. But, I appreciate all of your comments though. I think I will continue to clear the approach. I would rather take a little extra time and continue to have satisfied clients.

8. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Junior Member

P.S. This must be the "Michigan" post. Actually, it seems like their are a ton of Wolverines on this forum

9. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I just open my wings on the back blade as a leave the drive. It widen the approach just fine, and then the snow just disappears.(Magic of course). Its only LAW for the cities that enforce it. My opinion.:gunsfiring:

10. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Screw the woverines. Its all about the spartans and broncos... LOL JK

11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Who gives a sh*t, if theres a cop out there that is that bored give me a ticket...At least then he'll have something to do. :rolleyes:

12. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

one yr i had alot of problems with pushing accross streets...even went to court cuz of a blizzard...anyway...

just need to clean up your trails and not do it when a cop is around.
    and i dont take on those long downhill drives into a main st.

13. mole

mole Senior Member

whats the difference if we push it across the street or blow it along the curb line?. After a storm I see all the home owners with there snow blowers after the plow has been by empting there whole drive way and sidewalks into the street. They leave alot more then we do and no one says a word to them.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Because we're supposed to be the professionals!

15. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Junior Member

You all make very valid points. The company I drive for does not allow me to pile snow up across the street from the client (too many complaints). I must roll it up onto the clients boulevard. But, even though I am breaking the law by bringing out in the street, when I am done the drive is done, the approach is done, and the lane of the street in front of the clients house is clean. If I get a ticket for that, something is wrong. I see several other companies leave HUGE piles out in the middle of the street.

16. yeah

I tend to do what fast eddie does....I would rather push piles up to follow the law, but so many times its just better to put the pile in the road and "blast" it up into the cutomers lawn!

Hey mark, haven't seen you on here in a while! Hows the plowing going this winter!

17. walker

By the way! Be very very very careful in the city of Walker, they are NAILING guys for plowing across streets and leaving piles in streets! As long as you clean up your mess, they dont care what WAS in the street, but if you leave the pile there or push across the street. They are getting pissed though...I my future brother in laws father works for walkers DPW and he warned me about this!

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have seen town trucks stop and "inform" Joe Homeowner that shoveling into the street is illegal- includeing plows on route! Sometimes they get a warning first, othertimes the plow just pushes it back into the drive THEN stops and informs them. It amazes me how many "professionals" on this board don't seem to give a sh*t what the law says versus what they want to do....

If you are worried about big piles at the driveway ends- push the piles back further- especially when it's not a big pile.

We have all had to plow across a street at one time or another, I would expect a professional would clean up the street as good as it was before hand or better. I encounter a large percentage of my customers where the town has not done more than a single pass down the road- so I end up plowing a portion of the street to prevent the inevitible before I plow my customer- sometimes you have to pile the snow a few feet down front the customer's driveway entrance, on their property, not on the street mind you. I have recieved many dirty looks from drivers as I make a small pile in the road dissapear over the curb onto a front lawn but nothing less than nods from cops and the town. Don't "blast" it up, push it up in a pile (make another pile in otherwords and push that bach over the curb (in a single blade width) a couple of feet from the curb edge.

If you "blast" it you leave tailings in the road which is the no-no, if you will.

19. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Junior Member

OFF TOPIC

Jon Geer, can you email me with your contact info? I have an associate in my office that has a client needing plow service in Caledonia. All I know is it's a 700' drive.

eddie7461@yahoo.com

Sorry, I don't have IM. Server won't allow it.

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have been tempted sooo many times to drop my blade and help out the DPW and fill the driveways back in of people who think it is OK to blow all their snow out in the road. But then my better side gets the best of me. :angel:

Jon, busier than heck. All kinds of little crap going wrong, one big thing. A woman turned in front of one of our trucks and got hit. Unfortunately, the blade took the brunt of the impact and we were left with a right wing, pump and headlights. Left wing, a-frame, truck mount were bent or cracked beyond repair, so I upgraded that truck with an 8611 LoPro--I was half thinking about doing this next season but it happenednow. Still waiting for the insurance to settle on it. I hope this just means that we are getting the bugs worked out now and the rest of the season will be smooth sailing.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

I'll try giving you a call sometime in January, sounds like the next week right through the holidays are going to be busy for us. And my wife is having foot surgery tomorrow, so if I'm not plowing I'll be doing Mr Mom. Have a Merry Christmas if I don't talk to you before then.