1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tech Q: Western 1000

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Banger, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Banger

Banger Member

Dont know if I'm in the right forum but what I was looking for info on how to clean and maintain my spreader. Is there a writeup anywhere to teach how to do this? Or could someone explain some basic steps and if there are any tricks to be learned.

It was only used a few times. Maybe 3000 lbs worth. All that was done when last used was a rinse and stored it. I noticed that the shaft for the spinner looked to be slighlty rusty now and figured its time for a cleaning ect....

Edit: BTW... Whats the majority of you setting your spreader speeds at?
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Nothing you can do other than a good wash, and dry, and lube.

Im not familiar with that particular model but look for any zerks on the motor shaft bearing and grease them. Spin the motor by hand now and then....with the impellar to keep it free from sticking.

I actually apply a light coat of wax to the interior surfaces. My mind tells me the salt will flow better but I dont know if it helps. Doesn't hurt. I've also rubbed Fluid Film in really good and polished that.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

4. Banger

Banger Member

I didnt see any zerks but didnt look for them as I just seen this reply. I will go back out and check it over better now.

Thanks for the info guys. I will print out that link.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  5. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Has anyone been able to run sand through a western 1000 if needed
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I run a sand/salt mix through mine all the time. I use the dry tube sand tho. Wet sand will not go through it. It might go throughit with a vibrator.