1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Teaming up with landscaper who carries plow insurance

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by soundnstyl, Dec 14, 2013.

1. soundnstyl

soundnstyl Member

So I have a plow and a neighbor of mine is willing to use his landscape insurance for the plow business. Question I have is, how do I do that? The plow is on my truck and he does go to all the sites with me to plow. If I have him handle all the paperwork, does that mean that he is the "company" that is plowing? Even though it is my truck? Thanks all! Hope everyone has a great year!
  2. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

I might be wrong but i smell trouble, if your buddy is the main carrier what makes you a sub for him do you have a contract? How is your truck registered and what is your state law on this? What kind of policy does your buddy have 1,2 or 5 million? Who are you plowing what do the customers what for liability? Trouble i smell it.
  3. soundnstyl

soundnstyl Member

Well that is what I am trying to figure out... Do u need to get a contract with him to say that I plow his properties? He carries a 1MM policy. We plow one business parking lot. A manufacturing site and a couple of drive ways.

My truck is registered as a personal vehicle. And I carry an umbrella policy. We live in the burbs of Philly. In the past I have only been using my vehicle to service some of the rental units I have and some neighbors. That's about it. If I do move forward with this, what do I need to do from an insurance standpoint? Thanks
  4. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Well first of i am up here in Canukastan so the laws may be a little different, that said go to your insurance people and tell them your plans. I look at my insurance agent as a strategic partner in my business their advice can save your bacon. 2 million minimum 5 million better. how does it work for compensation if you get hurt on the job, do you pay for compensation coverage?
  5. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

yep...could be trouble. My lawn care business general liability insurance doesn't cover snow removal, and it triples the cost to add it. If he has commercial auto insurance on his truck, and the proper insurance, it is probably ok though. You can probably ride with him, but unless he contacts his insurance company to count you as an employee, you cant do any of the work and be covered under his policy I don't think.

I approach this carefully,
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Just get your own insurance or don't plow snow!

Its that simple.
  7. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Wow... Hate to see the set up....

If you have auto insurance on your truck call your dam agent and tell them you woke up today and decide i'm going to plow snow... They can add a 1,000,000.00 policy to plow to your current auto insurance policy.
    My main guy that works for me just put a boss plow on his duramax this season.
    He is going to sub instead of being my driver. He is paying $200 a month and it covers his other truck 05 chevy 2wd.. He said it's cheaper than what he was paying for old policy on his two trucks.. They provided him the certificate that we need on file, its the same that i have to give to my contracts...

Our company State Farm said they could do it for him as well.

It's that easy.. no reason to bring your neighbor, mom, dad, sister in on the venture...
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well he's covered ,now you need to go get some to be too.