1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by FIREMAN Q, Aug 23, 2005.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I was just wondering what the best way to do the whole sales tax thing. Do most of you give a price plus tax or is tax usually included in your bid. I'm struggling a little bit to decide what is a better option.

thanks in advance for the help

2. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

In Michigan there is no sales tax for services.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

In Minnesota, there's sales tax on everything landscaping or lawn care related, but no sales tax on snowplowing or firewood sales. Go figure.
  4. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Here in New York everything is taxed, services like plowing and salting and materials like the salt itself. I add the tax as a separate line item in the bill since according to New York State law you "Must show applicable sales tax the customer or client pays as a separate line item." If i quote a price to a customer ill say something like "For the season your driveway will be $450.00 plus tax."

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

thanks. I just found out that CT you can do either. The invoice has to say "plus tax" or "tax is included" .