1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tax Or No Tax In Ny

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ALEX516, Feb 24, 2004.

1. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

I was asked to take over the remainder of a contract in which an associate of mine (another LCO in the area) wants out of since he's down 2 trucks...

Here's the scenario:
    Power company subs out all maintenance work to XYZ contractor, XYZ contractor in turn subs it out to another local larger landscaping firm, and they in turn the guy I know...

My questions is this, I've already basically said yes, pending their signing of the contract I've dropped off. I've never been anything other than the first guy who works directly for whomever..

Do I charge TAX for this? AS in do I include NYS sales tax @ 8.75%???

Reason I'm asking is since they;re like 3-4 parties involved ya know?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide...

2. mole

mole Senior Member

I would. If there going to pay by check. always cover your a!!. Especially in ny .

3. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Plain & simple, ask for a Re-sale certificate. You can even download one for them from NYS web site. No certificate it's up to you after that, I would ask them first.

4. shamrock1

shamrock1 Member

I guess my first question is ... With 4 different companies involved in this deal how is anyone making any money, never mind the tax issue.....
    Getting a properly completed RE-Sale-CERT is the way to go,I agree with Mike from RA-CHA. NYS loves to collect their tax money, don't be left holding your_____