1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tax money at its best

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bob00, Dec 25, 2011.

1. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Looks like they were practicing.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Oh you should live in MN it is absolutely ridiculous, it's been especially bad this year because we haven't had any snow. Just the other day we had a dusting (1/8" maybe) overnight and was supposed to get to 38* the city came by at 12:45pm salting the wet road:dizzy:

4. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Someones gotta Rack up those hours! :rolleyes: payup
    Last storm a county truck came into one of my HOA's and salted half of it for me! The guy said hes gotta drop 4 truck loads before he can go home!

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

6. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Same here. The township and county have been plowing and salting the dustings that we have been getting. It is ridiculous.

7. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I think it's the same all over. In today's sue-happy society the municipalities need to CYA at all cost. It's the same with the schools... back in the day we almost never got snow days unless it was blizzard-like conditions. Now they cancel school the night before because of the "potential".

8. toyotaplow

toyotaplow Member

In my township the budget for salt is based on how much was used the year before. If they don't use it all then the next year they get less. Usually by late winter they are salting dry pavement on a sunny day just to use it up.

9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Not to get off track but lawyers and politicians have ruined this country.

10. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

I have to say CT DOT does a good job. They dont call the guys in until there is snow sticking on the roads and do fast good work. Some times they do go a little over on the salt causing the roads to turn white after the storm but outer that that no wasting the $$. In fact I saw them on the side of the road this past week picking up garbage since there has been no snow here yet.

11. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

If they need to use it for no reason, they should dump it off at my salt bin.

12. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

It's like government funding for schools, if you don't use up all the $ you don't get as much the next year. There is no incentive to save because if they save they just get shafted the next year

13. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

looks to me like a dry run . find the bad spots and jolting joints and mark before there under 6 inches of snow. do it all the time !!!!!!

14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Pre plowing dry surfaces creates friction, which warms the surface and prevents ice build up

15. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

This was discovered in a 13 year, 48.7 million dollar study by the Florida State University, a institution know for ice issues on it's sidewalks and roads on campus. :whistling:

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't you guys ever wear in a blade before?

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Well said. Put an end to all this suing and you will put an end to the waste. I hadn't had a law suit in 15 years and now have had 4 in the last 4 years.

18. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

As much as I hate your cops, in a joking fashion, I have to say CT has the best DOT around. I was coming home from Virginia last summer and there was a tractor roll over on 84 and those guys had the tow crew down to one lane, had minimal troopers there and had crash trucks there with what seemed like state workers helping to clean up the wreck. Just earlier this week I was coming through Hartford at 1030 am and came across a car accident and zip right around it like nothing happened.