1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tarping your salter?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by frankmd73, Nov 22, 2005.

1. frankmd73

frankmd73 Junior Member
    from buffalo

I just purchased a S.S. v box salter..Should i tarp it so snow does not accumulate in the hopper before adding salt? Does anyone add anything to the gas to help it from freezing. Any other helpfull hints would be appreciated..Thanks.

2. I always havemine tarped, You want to keep as much moisture off the unit as possible. It get enough abuse with the salt. I had a custom tarp made at a boat cover shop. He had some really tough waterproof material left over from tarps he made for the local Firetrucks. cost me $100 and well worth it.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What he said. And tarp it if you have salt in it(actually its really best not to leave salt in it and to hose it out after each use) If you must store salt in it it would actually be even better if you could park your truck in the garage and have it above freezing too.

Gas motors dont really care, it should start and run fine with regular gas, just try to stay away from stuff with alcohol in it.

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

we never srew with a tarp to much of a hasel the salt just melts the snow i had once a couple years ago that the drag bar was froze to the sander from freezing rain i forgot to check before loaded and had two tons dumped in. it wouldn't feed but i could se the salt was melting the ice from the water running out the sander so i stoped atr mc'ds and had breakfest by then it was free and worked great

5. frankmd73

frankmd73 Junior Member
    from buffalo

thank you for your input guys..Everyone is always such a great help here..

6. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

i tarp only when loaded with salt, i also ad gas stabilizer to gas just in case

7. little pat

little pat Member

We always tarp ours. Better safe than sorry. Definitely add gas stabilizer to keep the fuel fresh,never had startup problems even after long storage.

8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have three sanders and have sanded for 13 years and have never covered anything and have never had any problems resulting from not doing so. Best word of advice is like KARLKLIEN mentioned is that you should ALWAYS engage the sander prior to loading to make sure that everything is working properly!!! There is nothing worse than shoveling 2 yards of s/s mix out of a sander in sh*tty weather!!!