1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tarping V box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by silvetouch, Dec 30, 2009.

1. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

anyone ever receive a ticket for not tarping a vbox? We had a situation over this past storm, where the officer pulled 1 of our trucks over and 1st wanted to get out scales to see if we were overweight, then proceeded to say it was too cold to get them out. Then said that there was no tarp on the vbox and that salt could fly out. (what about the county and city trucks that have mounds of salt over flowing and throw salt directly out of the trucks?) I know that dump trucks require a tarp on their loads, but i don't know what the law says about a VBOX is Michigan. ended up with a "failure to tarp" violation.
    I've talked to a couple other officers already and said that this could be questionable.

Also, wanted to ad, that there was a shoot out at another property earlier that night in an apartment complex in detroit, we called 911. 45 minutes later, still no cops show up.

2. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Never heard of this around here. Agree with the tarp on the dump box. I think he's being picky. You going to challenge it?

3. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

never heard of even tarping a dump unless its a semi.

4. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

definitely. Once he pulled me over, he had to write me for something. They had about 15 cop cars within 2 blocks pulling people over. It was a trap.

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Cop needs something better to do in a snowstorm. Maybe you should offer to bill them for spreading salt on public roads? Because that's what any leakage would do. None of our city or regional trucks are tarped. I only tarp mine if its still snowing bad or freezing rain.

Definately challenge a ticket like that.

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I cam tell you this in Minnesota when a city, county, or state vehicle is engaged in a plowing/sanding operation all the rules go out the window. They can not be pulled over for being over weight. Not sure about you laws but thats what they can do here.

7. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Here in Lansing it's getting ridiculous. All about revenue in my opinion. City of Lansing, East Lansing, County weighmaster,etc. All cracking down. Setting up sting ops. I wondered when the tarp law would come up. What a crock of crap. DOT numbers, medical cards, vehicle inspections, fire ext., triangles, weight plates. Especially if you haul a trailer around. Wait until the economy turns to total crap, then look for money any where they can. People are getting tickets, not warnings, about laws they didn't even know existed. Helluva way to get educated on the laws. Sorry about my rant. This has been a hot topic of fellow snow removal/ landscapers, and tradespeople lately.

8. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

I looked on the ticket and the actual # for the michigan statute that he wrote it for is 257.720 .
    i googled it and i'm not sure, it's kind of a broad range law. here is the link to it. let me know what you guys think. http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-257-720

9. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

The cops a ****** for sure. Sorry to hear about that ticket.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Section 1 says highway maintenance vehicles are exempt. You might get a judge to say you fall into that. Also, if the salt was 6 inches below the top, I think Section 6 will protect you.....

11. Cherryco

Cherryco Junior Member

Lake County, Il

I was stopped on Rte 173 in Antioch, Il by a Lake County Sheriff and his temp/mobile scale. I was well under weight, but he got me for not tarping my load of salt. This was a $350 ticket, with supervision. This was Jan 2008. I was driving a 1 ton dump with a udertailgate spreader.

12. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

yeah, sorry to hear that. But my vehicle is just a f250 with a VBOX. When i went to a dot seminar at 1 of the shows, all they talked about was that you had to tarp dump trucks basically regardless of materials carried. No-one ever said anything about a pickup with a VBOX.

13. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

sounds like typical jerk off cops

14. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

Should of told him that the whole point is for salt to fly -out of it

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

It is stupid but its the law...tarp any and all loads especially for commercial operations.

If you are plowing lots and driveways you are not doing highways thats for sure.

16. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

The city trucks put extecions oon thier box's and still have a big @$$ Mound on it! no tarping! I can guarantee they're not gettin' stopped!
    Yeah Cops are Crazy here in Michigan My guy got a ticket in my truck for stopping at a stop sign for 5 sec instead of 7. I took it to court it because thats ridiculous! Saved my/his $200

17. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

We had a driver get a no tarp ticket on a 550 hauling top soil (mt prospect) so all loads are tarped.Salt loads they seem to worry more about overwight here.

18. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

What about for non-commercial operations? For this specific vehicle, The truck is not in a company name, there is no CDL, no dot numbers, basically nothing commercial about it, other than it has a salt spreader, no proof that it is a commercial vehicle. Does this have any affect

My buddy, talked to a detective from the same department and said that is was a bull **** ticket too and to fight it.

19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im pretty sure that around here, all loads that are considered loose material has to be tarped no matter what your hauling, or what your hauling it in. IF its not a "loose material" then they can get you with failure to strap down your load.

regaurdless of what the law acctually says, lets face it , everyone is "guilty until proven otherwise" in a cops eyes...its all how the officer enterprits the law and how he feels that day. right or wrong this is the truth..... because taking time off to go to court to fight the ticket, or getting a laywer costs you. and here in IL the court cost is so high....your better to just mail the payment in and be guilty in most cases becasue even if you negoteate for a lesser offense, the court cost is twice the normal ticket...lso right or wrong, your f>>cked either way.

I got to say after owning a snow ex 8000 a few years ago, the tarp sucks....the one nice thing about that western tornato is that flip cover...i wouldnt mind seeing that on more models or as an aftermarket part

20. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Doesn't matter, they just seem to target businesses like we have more money or something :cry: