1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tarpin your spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kcplowmata, Jan 20, 2008.

1. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

Has anyone had luck tarping your spreader full of salt? I was wondering if it would keep it from getting moisture and freezing up like a sob. I know it attracts moisture but for the time its in the spreader say a day i would think it would be ok tarped. Just afraid to chance it this far in the season with no shop to heat it up if it freezes. thanks
  2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the DOT up here usually has a tarp on the truck(not necessarly covering the salt), so they must use them once in a while..... how is your new truck working out?
  3. slade

slade Senior Member

A couple times this season I have filled up with salt before I plowed and tarped the spreader, worked fine however it was only tarped for 10 hours or so before I used the salt.
  4. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

i sold the new truck . i quit subbing and work for myself now. so my truck spreaders are fine for what i have. to many up and downs subbing for those guys. cool ten hours is around what i need anyhow just dont want a pile of concrete salt in my spreader. wow the giants stole that game