1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

target plaza

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dodgegmc1213, Sep 10, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys my father got a call to bid on this site for a seasonal contract. We still need to call the guy back and get the details. Its multiple stores on the left side and target in the back. The blue xs are banks I believe and are not part of it. I know target usually bids its own stuff but I think they are together with the rest of the plaza. My dad’s old boss who use to own our company did this site idk how many years ago, he was getting $50k. He had 1 loader and a truck and back then it was an old ames that went out of business before target came in. the landscape company who had it for the past 4-6 years I heard was getting $30-$32k, idk what they used for equipment. I did a rough estimate of around $65-$70k, that’s with renting 1 machine, 4-5 guys on walks, a dedicated truck and amount of 100 yards of salt for the season.

What do you guys think price wise and equipment wise? 1 loader with a pusher and our f450 dedicated to that site with 4-5 guys with blowers? The sidewalk on the left side has a cover over it so it SHOULDN’T be that bad in a storm without wind. Thanks in advance for any info.

This is our real 1st big job to bid on for snow, we have always subbed as well as did a few small condos for ourselfs.

target2.jpg

2. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

IMO as for equipment I will say your on the skimpy side. If you have the ability with the loader and 450 an additional skid steer and truck at minimum should be added.

3. hyfire39

hyfire39 Junior Member

i would say the loader and 450 plus at least one skid with a 8' pusher, remember cars will be in the lot, that loader and 450 are going to be hard to maneuver around parked cars. what size pusher are you looking to run on the loader? Also a sidewalk tractor of some kind i would also want on the site. Alot of building frontages to shovel/blow by hand. Where can you put snow also will depend on the equipment ull need.

4. Do It All Do It Right

Do It All Do It Right Senior Member

How many snowfalls do you get salting events and total average accumulation?

5. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

How many acres lot? How many square feet walks? What are your production numbers? You would be amazed at what a 16' pusher can do in an hour on an open lot like that.

6. dodgegmc1213

probably a 12 or 14 footer would do the trick, we would have to rent it since we don't own one and I doubt my dad will spend any money on one. I think a skid steer added to the truck and loader would be good, a plow with wings or a pusher. most likely the snow will pile up in the parking spots, idk if it will be moved to the back after a storm, doubt it tho.

7. Mega cab

Mega cab Member

Seems like a competitive price Wow! Maybe we just get more snowfalls here with lake effect. The big kicker is a cap on inches! Are you going to get extra after your winter average?!?

8. Mega cab

Mega cab Member

Also if your going off old info of 50k what was the trigger back then? Maybe 50k works better if the trigger used to higher maybe just a thought.

9. dodgegmc1213

every year is different, 3 years ago we probably got around 15-20" total the following year around 30-50" total, and last year was I think around 60"+.
    and I keep hearing its gonna be even worse this winter

10. dodgegmc1213

normally everyone around here is at the 2" trigger. we always did the 2" trigger. once 2" fell we start plowing and stay on it till its over.

11. dodgegmc1213

that is on my father, I asked him that and he doesn't answer. lol he hates when I try to run his business, but its my future business so why not start running it.

12. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

1 loader with 14 or 16 pusher and 2 trucks with at least 8 foot plows is plenty just for the parking areas. Can't really see the walks but you will need something for that. Lot looks to be about 7-8 acres. We did three lots last year around this size with that equipment at each and could plow the lots with a 6 inch snowfall in 4 hours.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  13. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Find lot size said 11 acres. 4 out back, 7 out front.

Just because I enjoy being ridiculed, I will say up to 60" for $80K, and I would want to place 1 Kage equipped skid out back, a kage equipped skid, loader with a 16' pusher in front. Have a wideout equipped 3/4 ton with a sander bounce around between front and back...Walks, maybe 2 wheelers with 4' plows to get the snow off the walks to where the pushers can get them..couple extra guys on duty with shovels..
    A 10 wheeler with a big sander for ice control.

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Man you know how to plow all sizes of lots

How many this size of lots you have

15. Buswell Forest

from NH

All of my lots added up might equal that lot. As for knowing all,
    I just have a natural gift for irritating people.

16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You don't irritate me I just LOL what you post :laughing:

But you only have one plow you own

What did you gross last winter Was it 80k or was it 25k

17. Buswell Forest

from NH

What was so funny? I own one presently, 2 before snow. Last year, three 3/4 acre commercials, 31 drives from 25 to 45, most 30, around $23K with no sanding
    This year, with good snow, and sanding the comercials, more than double. 10 more commercials added, smaller sized, but they get plowed and sanded even @ 2".

My price above was a shot in the dark. 11 acres with nooks and crannies, loading docks, and a bunch of walks, 3 entrances, all inclusive...sure seems worth more than $200 a push to me.
    My equipment list is my ideal roster, what I would want at my disposal before accepting the job.
    Opinions vary. Of course, I am looking at this from a mid NH snow point of view...I should have left out the 60" cap, because I do see everything through that prism.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  18. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

65k is in line

2 loaders/ 1 loader 1 backhoe
    1 skid with P/A
    450 with plow/spreader

if your skid operator is any good and is allowed to handle walks (some places frown on using skids for walks) you should only need 1-2 guys shoveling.

Buswell I like your thinking but could you imagine maneuvering a wheeler in that place to spread salt :eek: :help:

19. dodgegmc1213

Thanks guys for the info, I ran some numbers and these people are probably gonna laugh at us. Im around $64k just for renting 1 loader and 1 skid and the salt for the season (probably less because im high on the salt per yard price). So once I add man hrs im around $80k now have to add expenses, insurance, overhead, and some profit. Once they see that they'll go running back $30k. But I cant help that the landscape company has someone with loads of money backing them up.

20. Buswell Forest

from NH

I figure the wheeler can do all the roads and parking lanes and the back side, and the pickup with a 1.8 can do the tightest spots. With cars all over, only so much you can do on the parking lot.
    I just figure with so much area, a wheeler will save running for more salt and sand 10 times with a small sander.