1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Target market for snow removal

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Dogplow Dodge, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

As the title implies.... what is your target market for your snow removal business. I do both commercial and residential, so my customer goals vary differently than my neighbor who does just parking lots, or the other neighbor who does just driveways.

I took this quote from another thread, as to not muddle up the weather discussion going on there.

Well, then this guy doing residential... or whatever comes his way for "BARTERING" whatever comes his way don't bother you at all.....

http://cnj.craigslist.org/bar/3474836438.html

You're right. Doesn't bother me either, as his "customers" are not where I focus my client base at, as I prefer working for people who want the job done as best as can be done at what would be considered a fair....or slightly above fair cost. We need to have a specific target market that we gravitate ourselves towards, and not just selling ourselves as snow ho's to capture every last penny we can............or give away by working essentially or free.

I mean Bartering ????? really ???? :confused: How much does he pay for insurance ??? You can't possibly have insurance on that truck, and barter your way through a season, could you ??? I guess bartering would work from time to time, but I don't need my house powerwashed, or my dog walked, so I really couldn't have a clue as to what he's getting by exchanging favors with other folks..

Although, I guess an intimate rendezvous with sexy young women would work for a while, but I'd still have to buy diesel to run my truck back and forth afterwords.... :)

2. M&M

M&M Senior Member

You make a good point with the target market. I get asked all the time if I could plow this driveway and that driveway. I have 55 driveways I plow with one truck. My route is super tight. I know my target market. I dropped 3 drives this year because they were each a 5 minute drive time out of my way. I sent out postcards homes I literally driveby in the fall and got 6 more. Essentially, 3 out, 6 in and double the money in the same amount of time.

That's what these yahoos who barter and post on craigslist for cheap don't get. They run all over town "plowing" but don't make any money because the limited window of opportunity to make money during a storm is wasted driving around.

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

By your description, it seems like you know exactly what you're doing. Limit your time to those clients whom you know aren't a problem, too far away, or looking for a bartering deal.

Good to know someone out there is using his head... Thumbs Up