1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tarco v box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PLANET, Dec 8, 2003.

PLANET Member

Guys, Tarco highlander jr? Price?quality?

PLANET Member

3. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We recently purchased a TARCO spreader. Have been happy so far. The first week we had it the Briggs & Stratton engine siezed up. Everyone told me to het the Honda engine, but it was an extra $500. Well anyway, I brought it back to Tarrant Mfg in Saratoga Springs, NY where we bought it and they replaced the engine while I waited, no charge. I still wish I went for the Honda engine. The model we got was the "Salt & Pepper", it's Stainless Steel.

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

I had two of our briggs and suckins seized up this week as well... It stunk had to pay $650 per engine for a new one at a local place..
  5. CPSS - why did you go with a gas powered spreader? After my experience last season, and from others who have had the same reliability issues, I will never own another gas powered spreader.
  6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Matt, the truck we put the spreader on ( a Ford F-600 ) didn't have central hydraulics. It was several thousand dollars extra to have the system installed. We use the truck in the summer to haul materials, and had no need for a dump body, thus no central hydraulic system. The spreader is big, holds just under 5 yards of salt. The gas engine is 10.5 HP so electric motor was out of the question. Once we get it running we just leave it on, idle it down low till we get to the site, run the idle up and off we go.
  7. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Do you know if you can buy direct from them in Saratoga Springs?
    I have seen them they look like a good spreader.

8. Yes, Tarrent sells direct and they are very good to work with.
  9. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

call them 518 584-4400 Jeff Lanz was my salesman, and he really knows his stuff. We had ours custom made. 10' long, 4.5' high. They have several stock models for standard pickups, as well as several stock large size highway type spreaders in painted steel as well as stainless steel.