1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tapping factory tranny temp sensor

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dillyolboy, Oct 1, 2003.

1. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

I was playing with an OBDII computer code reader the other day and I noticed that when I ran the "Datastream" function it would read out the tranny temp. Is this accurate and how can I tap into this sensor to run a tranny temp guage off of it? This would work way nicer than punching a hole in the bottom of the pan for a sending unit if it is possible.

2. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

I wouldn't try it. Resistance of that sender may not be what a aftermarket gauge needs. Plus you really don't want to be playing around tapping into a T.C.M. input. You can try to get a aftermarket pan if available with the ability to screw in a sensor like you want. they use to have them years ago but not sure about now. But a word to the wise, these systems are really sensitive. Even tapping into it could throw off the input. I've seen it. They start doing pretty wierd things.

Mike

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd leave it alone.It would be better to put a separate sender in the cooler line or the trans pan.Most gauges come with a sender anyways.

4. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

Won't ice build up on the wire from the sending unit to the guage and possibly pull it off? I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, just an inconvenience. What do you use to put the sending unit in the line? Some kind of T deal from the hardware store?

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Some of the older (94 ?) dodges had a sending unit port in the factory line.You can buy just that line and put it in your truck.

Other choice is to add a "T" fitting to the existing line.If you do,MAKE SURE it doesn't impede cooler flow,or you'll be buying a tranny to go along with your new gauge.