1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tapered cutting edge on plow...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Holland, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Well i was told the previous owner of my plow would supply me with a new edge after i bought it. He showed up with an edge for a loader. :dizzy: No holes punched or anything. But, I have access to an iron worker for free so i wont be into it anything.

If its not gonna be an issue how would you guys go around mounting it? I made a quick little diagram with the options i thought of. I'm leaning towards option "A" right now. I know it'll wear quick for the first bit but its a 1/2 in cutting edge so once its past the taper it should be fine. Option "B" would probably not work. Option "C" would make the edge a bit shorter but would work like a normal then. Since its here and cut to length i'd like to use it. What do you guys think? Mess with it or just go get a western one?

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

C looks slick, i like it
  3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Been talking to a few today and might go with that.
  4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah C is best. The other options will just wear the edge faster.
  5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I would go with C. I buy that type of cutting edge from the local steel yard and it comes like that. I actually like the bevel up because there is less of a lip for snow and ice to hang on to right there. I haven't had any issues running it like that and have been doing it like that for years. I wish I had an ironworker I just torch the holes.