1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by uvilla, Mar 4, 2014.

1. uvilla

uvilla Junior Member
    from 25442

Whats the best way to store salt brine.....poly or fiberglass.......or something else????????
  2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

doesnt mater....
  3. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I use the 275 gallon poly caged tanks. I also have a few larger poly tanks, but I get the best per gallon deal on the small caged tanks. $32 per each. Check with your recycling/metal scrap yards. That's where I just found my best deal.
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I'm still in the setup stages of liquids. My calcium supplier said to be careful of using tanks designed for water, his product is 14 lb/gallon, much heavier than water. He has seen it buckle the poly tanks, he doesn't sell the tanks or equipment so I have no reason to think he's lying. He will only deliver tank truck loads (5k gallon), so I was need a big tank. His tanks are all fiberglass. I stumbled across a fiberglass brine tank on craigslist, 8k gallon....I won't say what I paid for it, but my supplier said figure about 60 cents/gallon.
  5. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I have the white poly tanks and never had a problem with too much weight. Just don't fill them up all the way if you think it may exceed the max. Wish I could find a good deal on some 5k tanks.
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Poly gets my vote.
  7. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I have poly 1500 and 3000 with mag in them at 11 lbs/gal. No problems. even full to the brim.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have a great mixture. :rolleyes:

1-10,000; 2-2500's and a 1550. All for various reasons.

All are blue which I believe is the UV resistant type.

I've had beet juice in the smaller ones which is about 13#'s per gallon. Also have had molasses in them which is far heavier than beet juice.

RLM, what is the product you will be purchasing? 14#'s per gallon seems really, really heavy. I'm having a hard time believing that. Especially if he is your calcium supplier.
  9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Calcium & a "tree byproduct" is his term for it, its black, and or very dark brown.
    My understanding is he was one of the original guys that came up with Ice Ban/Magic then sold it to Sears Environmental (I think that's who owns it). He gave me one of his shirts it still had the old logo which looked like a beer can on its side being dumped on the road. Real knowledgeable guy no need to doubt he knows his stuff my head hurt after spending a little over an hour talking to him I was trying so hard not to miss anything. He mainly sells to municipal clients. I've seen him bring a tanker & his pug mill & mix at one of the municipal garages/salt bin to treat bulk. I don't see any reason he would make up what it weighs. He would custom blend any ratio of organics to calcium I wanted so he may have been telling me worst case as in straight organic material.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014