1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taller MD75

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by hedhunter9, Dec 21, 2010.

1. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I didnt like the short 24" height of the MD75 so I thought I might try and see what I could do about it.

I took our older SnowDogg (3 seasons on it now) and built a 6" stainless riser to bolt to the top. then moved the rubber up on top of that. Boxed it all around, with a 1" lip.
    Very sturdy.
    Came out pretty good.

I love the looks of the taller Dogg . now 30" tall. Taller than the HD75 and almost as tall as the EX.

Next up.. Stainless wings.

Bob

snowdogg extra height.jpg

snowdog 6 inchs taller.jpg

2. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

That looks awesome sir!!!!!!!! I see how you did that and that is nothing short of brilliant..Thumbs Up

3. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

I'm curious - did you do that just because you already had an MD75 and wanted a bigger plow? Or do you see a particular advantage to a tall MD?

4. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Scott,

Yes to both.

I already had the MD75 as I said. 3 years old.

And I didnt like the short height. Snow kept blowing up over the top,
    The stock snow deflectors kept breaking and the replacement rubber snow flap didnt
    seem to work as well.

And it just looks more fitting on the F150 now.
    Before, it looked like a toy on it... TOO SHORT !
    Plus, now I can see the top of the plow, when it is up.

I had to add 6" of extensions on the light mounts as well.
    Can see them from the cab, where before I couldnt.

Bob

5. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Heres a shot of the taller lightmounts I made. I am not done with them.
    I dont like the look, so plan on making some different ones. These were out of
    3x3 angle Iron..

Also a shot from the front with the taller plow. With the rubber flap hanging down, its harder to see and Kinda hard to see on in the small signature picture for comparison
    , but if ya squint ! <G>

Bob

taller lightmounts.jpg

taller snowdogg.jpg

6. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

I am curious why you didnt get an HD to begin with? I wonder what will happen to the MD frame when you scoop up a little more snow weight than its made for? The fab work is cool, I just worry about lifting 500lb with a 250lb bar (I dont want to be the guy holding up the bar in the middle)

7. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

It really doesnt put that much more snow in front of it. We arent pushing long distances with 14" deep snow.

Years ago, I did the same kind of thing with an old plow. Made it taller, then added 10" wings on each end. used that thing for clearing large school parking lots.

Never had a problem...

It isnt pushing snow that is the problem..

Hitting curbs, posts, etc. that is the problem. With any plow.

In restrospect, I wish one of our plows was a EX80 or better yet, the new wideout.

And in fact, when we pick up a F250, that is what I will be putting on it.

But for now. Having fun doing what I did... wesport

Bob

8. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

Just curious..Are you finding that your truck overheats more then with the regular size. I need to run with the blade about 3 inches off the ground and angled just to keep the temps under control. Would hate to see you smoke a motor due to overheat issues. good luck.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  9. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Nope,
    The Ford never overheats...It stays down in the lower 1/3 area, just like it has with out the plow on.
    Must have good flowing radiator.

10. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Ok. I lied...
    Here is my wife pushing 36 inches of snow we had in SouthBend In. this past weekend.
    Record snowfall in one day over 25 Inchs. Plus 8in the day before then another 12 inch the next day.
    But it all pushed pretty easy.
    I had the red truck doing autozone where the lot was 47 inches deep. I plowed at first
    with the plow blade in the UP position. !
    My nephew with his Chevy 2500 couldnt do it. He got stuck 4 times before calling me...

Of course I had more weight and better tires, so could easily push stuff he couldnt.

Sure glad we added the extra 6 inchs to the plow. <G>
    Now for those wings !

Ford tough
    SnowDogg went from puppy to Growling tough mongrel.... <G>

Bob

36 inchs 2011.jpg

11. RobE

RobE Junior Member
    from RI

How much weight do you think you added?

12. Mike57

Mike57 Member

I would be concerned about the added stress to the plow frame. It is a "medium duty" plow. I would think that adding that much surface could potentially damage a plow frame that isn't designed for that amount of snow?

Just my 2 cents.

13. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

it added about 10 lbs ! Whoopeee

As far as how much more snow it puts in front of it and added stress on the MD frame?

Get real...

90% of the plowing we do, It never see's any extra snow in front of it.

It does help some keeping it from blowing over the top. Not as much as hoped.

I will bet that this plow is still working and holding up fine just as long as our other one, with out the added 6 inch on top...

Time will tell.

Bob

14. sinboo50

sinboo50 Junior Member

This looks like a great fab.... I am thinking about doing this to my MD.

Are you still happy with it?

15. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Happy ? You bet ! Wished I had done it 2 years ago. Gonna put the extensions on the other snowdogg right after warranty runs out.

16. boston41

boston41 Junior Member

hey man the plow looks great. i have an 06 tundra crew cab 4x4 and want to put an md75 on it. after the winter we are having. have a 93 k3500 and the frame is now rotted and cracked. so looking to get something to plow my own driveway. how does the plow handle the deep snow? did you just bolt on the extension on top or did you weld it to?

17. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

It is just bolted on.
    I gave some thought to running braces up the back. but with the box design, it has held up pretty well so far. I worried about the bolts pulling thru the SS and so far there is no signs of fatiguing in the area. Am keeping an eye on everything to see if any stress areas show up. So far so good.

If it does prove that bracing is needed, It will be real easy to do 4 quick braces up the back side that would bolt right on the original ribs.

Bob

18. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Update on the taller SnowDogg ! Just went thru a couple of days of torture..
    Yep. The Blizzard of 2011!
    Not near as bad as the Blizzard of 78, but it did give us a pretty good work out.
    We were plowing drifts 3-4 feet deep !
    Started Tue night at 10 am. I finally went home and got some sleep after 4:30pm on Wed.
    Then back out again.

91 inchs of snow so far, when normal for us is 86" for the season..

The SnowDogg proved its good breeding and the new modified bloodline are working well and up to everything I have thrown at it so far... Beyond any normal season.

Checked everything over today. The only thing I found, was 2 loose bolts on the 6" extension on the left side. I should have used aircraft lock nuts.. Everything else is holding up great..

Woof !

19. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Updates on our modified taller MD75. After the season was over we went over the plow closely before storing for the summer.
    We found stress cracks in the stainless steel riser where the bolts went thru the boxed in area to the top of the original plow.
    Some braces up the back would have eliminated that before hand, but it was interesting to see that it held up that well for what we put it thru last winter.
    Another thing we could have done was to put some thicker metal narrow washer like
    pcs under the bolts we used. This would have spread the load over a wider area and
    probably prevented the stress cracks as well.

We went ahead and made the braces up the back and sides for this plow and added some
    some extra metal under the boxed in bolt areas as well.

We just got the 2nd plow risers made up and are putting them on the 2nd truck this next week. Also working on some wings for it as well...

We got some bigger accounts this year, so gonna need the extra plowing ability.
    Still looking for a F250 to mount one of the bigger dogs on, but after buying a new house last month, cash is tight right now and I wont go into debt to do it...

Will post pictures of the other plow and the wings as soon as possible.

Bob

20. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

PS.
    Forgot to mention, The rest of the plow held up fine. No problems anywhere...

Bob