1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tall & Skinny!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by PTSolutions, Nov 17, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

got the new tires mounted up, bfg at ko 235/85/r16 load range E

have these mounted on the back of our dump truck for the last few years and they have been great, plenty of tread left and they hold weight really well. plus they do well in the snow since the dump is only 2wd.

although i cant stand how the rear track is narrower than the front. i read up on wheel spacers and they seem to not cause any problems so im probably going to order a set for this truck.

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

thats the size every 3/4 or 1 ton plow truck should have - despite those guys who swear by their 315's :dizzy:
  3. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

i hate to ask pricing, but that tire is a contender on my list-i am due for a new set, and have to buy 6, so getting a good tire at a good price is key. you have the exact size im looking at. mind giving a ballpark range? PM if you like.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice tires. I have never owned BFGs but I hear they are a great tire.
  5. PTSolutions

in the past this truck used to run separate summer and winter tires, but the at ko's have been a good all around tire so its gonna save us the trouble. plus this truck wont be towing as much as it used to. it used to pull the mowing trailer almost every day.

the tires came out to 164 a piece. i had called a few places and tirerack was still cheapest even with shipping. but we really wanted to get them installed that day and even the local shops didnt have em in stock. then i called this local NTB and they had em for 174 a piece and he said he'd knock 10 off each and could get em in later that day. we did the mount and balance ourselves. i think tire rack came to 10 bucks cheaper overall but like i said we wanted them that day.

prior to this the HD was running 285/75/16 kumhos and those things were heavy and not soo good in the snow so we switched to this. plus we dumped over 3K into the front end of this truck in the last year and didnt want the tires to beat it even more.

its just hard to find a skinny tire in a taller height. overall these come to about 31" tall. the kumhos were 33"
  6. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

7. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

thanks a lot guys!
  8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I ran a set of 255/85's on my 3/4 ton truck last season. They were great. Now they are on the back of my dump truck
  9. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Thats narrower than the oem tires that came on it. Good luck with them, I have had the ko for many years and loved them. I changed this year to the duratrac because of the also great reviews of snow performance. We will see. I still do the 285 though.
  10. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

235/85/16 is the only way to do it in the snow. Nice tires.
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What tire brand/tread?
  12. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

those look nice I run 245's
  13. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Looks great. Should push great. Its funny I just had 285/70/17 E rated BFG AT KO's put on our plow truck today. I have had them on a few trucks and love the hell out of them. Looks a ton better than the little 31's it had from the factory. Going to try and put a leveling kit on it by this weekend.
  14. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Maybe this is a dumb question but are the rears skinnier? if so why? I have a set 285/75/R16 Load D and their all the same size? I think?

15. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i ran 235/85s for along time they are a good size for plowing/winter. they cut through the snow and dont float over. this year i'm running 265/75s and if i could i'd prolly have a new set of 235/85s but $$ is a issue.

i think it looks good!
  16. SD Cookman

SD Cookman Junior Member

Does anyone running the 235-85-16 have a rubbing issue?
    I now run 285-75-16 and i will get a rub on the inner fender at full turn with the plow on (Western Pro Plus). The 235-85-16 are slightly taller, not sure if the narrower width would keep them from rubbing or not. I like the looks of the taller skinnier tire.

Now I just need to decide on the tire.....very confusing...too many threads on tires with one person says "this is the best" next thread says"that tire sucks, this is the best"...WTF?? LOL

Almost forget the truck....2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
  17. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

285 75 16 are slightly taller (about i inch) than 235 85 16.
  18. SD Cookman

SD Cookman Junior Member

I guess I was reading the tire size chart backwards.....I thought it was slightly taller, but it's slightly smaller...thanks..
  19. PTSolutions

the rears are the same width, must be the camera angle. now, the rear track (distance from tire to tire) is narrower on the rear, this is what the spacers will fix.

i have also ran 265/75/r16 bfg at ko's on this truck as well, but they were D range and didnt last very long. for some reason the compound in the E range seems to wear better. and i still wanted something skinnier than the 265's

i took the 285/75/16 off b/c they floated like crazy and got little traction, plus they were hell on the front end. the tires alone were 60lbs a piece and then add the rims and thats alot of unsprung weight. they also liked to track alot and follow the road since they were so wide.

i never had any rubbing issues with the 285's either. these 235's ride really nice as well.
  20. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

255/85R16 is what I run on my chevy trucks. About the same height as a 285, but it is almost 1 1/2 inches narrower. 33" tall but only about 10 inches wide means, no rubbing, still allows you to clear curbs and cuts down to the pavement in a hurry also less surface area so easy to spin front wheels with the plow up in the air while not moving

Sidewall: 7.2"
    Tire Width: 9.64"
    Diameter: 30.5"

Different sizes broke down in normal people sizing:
    Sidewall: 7.9"
    Tire Width: 9.25"
    Diameter: 31.7"

Sidewall: 8.5"
    Tire Width:10.02"
    Diameter: 33.1"

Sidewall: 8.4"
    Tire Width:11.23"