1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

talking about relying on snow!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PORTER 05, Jan 8, 2006.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

my freind just bout a 2006 gmc 3500 dually 1-ton dump with the duramax, and the 9ft fisher x-blade (silver)....lol $1,600 a month including insurance....wat the ???...he doesnt even have 1 plow account yet, kids putting flyers like everywhere, pratically handing them out in public, begging me to sub him out??? ya right ive got 48 accounts 2 trucks and 3 employes, and 2 subs when and if i need them, hoppfully Never!..is this kid crazy or wat, the only thing he tells me everyday is i hope it snows i hope it snows, like that going to do him any good, even if he had 30 accounts he still count pay that monthly bill, wat are these guys thing about buying trucks this expesive????:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
  2. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Idiot lol

Oh and by "silver" you mean stainless steel.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He'll be so hard up for money he'll do a driveway for 5.00.

EXCESSIVE FORCE Junior Member

5. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The only way I would ever buy equipment for plowing is if I had a signed contract with downpayment that I would need it for.
  6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have an expensive truck. And I hope everyday it snows. However, I need the truck for my summer work. Plowing just keeps it busy in the winter.
  7. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

SUPERPLOWER!!! that's what you call your buddy. definition for superplower, there's variations for this but i'll get to that in a minute. superplower= guys who go out and buy $40,000 trucks have a new $4,000 plow installed, have no accounts think at the first snowfall they'll drive around thinking that every wal-mart, gas station, mc donalds, auto-zone "and any pavement that requires snow removal" is gonna flag them in and throw thousands of $$$ at them to plow their lots. NOT!!! they usually end up driving around with their blades up all day then end up doing a couple of driveways for $10 or doing their mom&dad's or neighbor's drive and if their lucky get a "pity" donation, and their trucks are for sale come springtime. superplowers can also have any truck also, same scenario, not a new truck. you usually always tell a "superplower a mile away, driving down the road with their blade angled strait, and 10 feet "LOL"(all you experienced plowers know what i'm talkin about) in the air. i'll post a thread on this at a later date , pete
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Every year you see the same thing - New truck gets sold with a plow as a package. "Gonna make the payments and then somepurplebou ". Then just before all the snow is melted off in the Spring, you'll see a bunch of one year old trucks with plows for sale in the paper :cry: .

Besides the ones for sale by the banks.

Happens every year.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Deleted duplicate post.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A guy I work for has a 2 year old loaded F-150. He goes and puts a brand new Sno-way and a new salt spreader on it. He was crying the other day,he thought he would have doubled his money already!
    Haa Silly Rabbit that's not how it works!
  11. timdrake

timdrake Junior Member

I just bought an 89 f250 just for a yard machine to plow. I asked my father why he doesnt plow and he gave me this simple response, "you can make more money digging dirt than you can plowing snow" thats just his way of saying i can actually keep my machines working this winter. that and if something you use for snow doubles as your actual work vehicle for out of season use and it breaks down then your up the creek without a paddle. A word of advise to your friend would be find some regular work for it first and fast.
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I like new equipment, Let the manufacturer pay for the repairs as necessary. I also consider them a depreciable expense. They are more dependable then used stuff, I don't lose time for simple repairs. I also understand they won't be paid for in one season, unless I'm extremely lucky and the snow pattern is just right. New equipment is not a mistake, poor business planing is. The guy with the F-150 should be able to pay for his plow and salter in one season, the mistake is believing he will pay for the truck, the equipment and put money in his pocket. Plowing snow is like any other business, Factually calculated risk. It also (for most of us a least) is not a sole source of income, nor the only use for the truck. I agree that many fools believe it is a pathway paved with cold :D but the risk player with the right equipment can surely pad their IRA, while paying for equipment, or are you all doing it for the thrill factor. LOL
  13. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

14. jackrusselfire

jackrusselfire Junior Member

You should help your so called friend out. Some Snow Pro must have given him the Million Dollar story. I would help him because you never know when you might need some help yourself. Luck does change and one day he could be writing us about how his friend had the world by the balls and now he has nothing. So we will tel him to help his friend. Round and Round we go were we stop nobody knows.:jester:
  15. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yeah,..but you have to ask...what else does the fruiend DO? Some of these guys are shopworkers and engineers. Many have more money than they know what to do with. You gotta figure,..like where I live. We have Buick AND we have the Chevy truck plant. You see more new trucks with plows on them around here than you can shake a stick at. And these fat ol' bastards are all out plowing for chump change, too. They have no insurance or taxes to pay on it, they just do it for some side money, because they never have to get their lazy rearends out of the truck.
  16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I don't know where you live,but $1600 a month with insurance sounds
    Oh-My-God -high for a new plow truck! If some one is paying this much he really needs his head examined. You would never be able to work the truck enough to make all the money back for even just payments. Little alone your gas and service costs. you can only work it plowing snow maybe 5 months a year in some areas.
    My truck makes more money each year because I paint houses.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  17. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Depends on where you are and how you run your business....

My truck payment is over 1,000 (GMC 5500 2005 4x4) by a few bucks, plus $2,200 insurance for the year(auto/liability) = almost $1200 per month.... My truck pays for itself, my house and a part time employee.... It sits all summer.
  18. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Remember the first time you were in business? I'll bet a lot of guys bought new, bought big and lost their shirts...

Unless you have seasons contracts this year you may be losing your shirt this year as well.
  19. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Yeah, this winter has been slow so far. Only plowed once, before Christmas (plow only residential 4" trigger).

I would be praying to the snow gods if my monthly truck payments were $1600 too! Gosh, thats 4x my truck payment! :eek:
  20. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

The only logic in buying that truck I can see is If you can afford it weather it snows or not. I can afford all of my trucks if it doesn't snow one inch this year.

Now if he bought that truck for the sole porpose of plowing snow he's a pure idiot! And my gosh that's ALOT OF BLADE for someone just starting out with no accounts. In my area you don't invest a ton of money in the snow business unless you have seasonal contracts. I keep my equipment cost to a minimum with older stuff, as we might get 12" for the season, but when we do get THE BIG ONE my stuff is reliable enough to get me through.