1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

talk about overpricing!!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bigjeeping, Dec 13, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Just got my truck back from the dealership for a new ball joints install.

Anyway, after I dropped the truck off the service advisor called me and said they found that 2 of my 3 brake lights were out. He said they could fix this for $80. Once I got the truck back, the work sheet said the estimate was actually $100! I'm thinking that he saw 100 and knew it was way to high so he told me 80.

Well, I told him NO and just replaced the lights myself - didn't take more than FIVE MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Too many zeros for sure
  3. starc

starc Senior Member

Either you need to fix things yourself or have an awfully big wallet. I prefer to do all my own repairs and maintenance, save a **** load of money.
  4. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Must be a Lifetime Guarantee on the bulbs and some great bulbs at that.
  5. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

For $100 I know a guy that will come to your house and wash and wax the truck, replacing the bulbs would be free...LOL
  6. frehawk

frehawk Junior Member

You should have asked how much they charged to change the air in the tires:D
  7. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

The wallet is slim! I try to do as much on my own, but if I tried to tackle the ball joints I'd spend a week on them!
  8. ECS

ECS Senior Member

He is just trying to bring the industry standards up. :nod:
    If he charged $5 would he be thought of as a lowballer?
  9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

$100 to change bulbs good job not letting them take advantage of you
  10. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

That is a pretty realistic $ for the job. The dealer labor rate here is $110 hr. with a 1/2 hr min.
    SO now on to flat rate estimating.
    .5 hr diag to check the tail light operation.
    .2 to change each bulb.
    3 bulbs @ $6.00 each
    I dont agree with this but in the real world of dealer repair this is a realistic charge.
    The difference here is IF you are ABLE to do it your self then you can save $$$
    The repair industry prayes on the consumer who is unable to do rthe repairs himself.
    This is part of the reason why i left the Automotive repair industry after nearly 30 years.
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Some people might also think that $35.00 is alot of money to plow a driveway that takes 2 minutes.
  12. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

just take it to a auto parts store like Autozone, i think they change them for free. I always see them changing stuff like that.
  13. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Not to say you're wrong, but here's some insight on the situation: The truck was already having over $1000 in repairs/maintenance performed on it during this particular visit, so that knocks out any "minimum pricing" The bulbs I purchased cost me a total of $4.00 and took me five minutes to change out - no diagnosis needed other than seeing that they didn't work! But I do agree that they are out to make money off of the customers who are unable to do this themselves... like an elderly widow, or a single mom. Wow, that's horrible.
  14. starc

starc Senior Member

I agree with that but, I figure if there to lazy to shovel it....it's worth 30 or 35 dollars. Might take me 2 minutes but it will take them a hour or so.
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you notice, the Guys at Auto Zone are changing bulbs for healthy young females. Hummm?
    I have a friend that's a Structural Engineer and Lebanese. He loves to fix stuff. His wife's Caravan's water pump went out. He's got 3 house jacks going on and had no extra time.
    The shop doing the repair calls: Your serpentine belts bad, we will replace it for $100.
    He says that's a $35 --> $50 part, they say that's their price to replace any belt.
    You Moron's it's already off.
    Like he says: Just cause I'm Fore-in, they tink I am Stupid.<-- in his best new guy in the country broken english
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  16. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Ok Bigjeeping here goes.

I was in the automotive repair industry for the last 30 years. It has bought a house, paid for things and supported a family.
    It was my income of choice.
    SO why is it everyone thinks a mechanic should discount his labor just because someone spent $$$$$ on other repairs.
    When you go to the doctor and he runs blood tests. Does he discount it for 10 tests?
    Does Home Depot give you free nails when you buy a bundle of 2x4's
    Then why is it I am expected to do this easy job for free just because you spent money here already??????
    Sometimes there are special tool required to do the job. Who pays for them??? ME
    When there is required schooling who pay for it???????? ME
    So why is it i should give away my income just because????????
    If you have the ability do perform the repair yourself then i applaud you.
    If not then don't come on here ragging about the cost.
    SO we Pray on the weak and old????
    How about the electricians and carpenter, Appliance repair people, Heating and air???
    Are these people praying on the old and the weak?????????????
    I know that is different. RIGHT These trades NEVER take advantage of consumers. RIGHT

Ok i got it out now FLAME AWAY i got my suite on and my extinguisher ready
  17. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Probably wanted to charge you so much, to get back for the gouging he gets from the plow guy......................Sorry, couldn't resist.............:.........
  18. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Ok - I completely understand where you're coming from and that's why I paid $950 to have new ball joints installed. A ball-joint-job takes time, requires special tools, and requires skill. They quote each job by the hour, plus parts. If they get done quickly, they make a nice profit. No harm done.

Their hourly rate is $85/hour. They wanted $100 to replace two bulbs which took me 5 minutes and a few dollars. Tell me that ain't right!
  19. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Have you checked a plumbers rate for uncloging a drain lately. How about a HVAC service call.
    BTW you are luck to have a labor rate that low. The local dealers here are $110 -$125 hr
    My buddie works at Mercedes $150hr
  20. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

That is why you shouldn't take you truck to the "Stealership" and take it to a mechanic that you know and trust.