1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

taking your kids along when plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danm yankee, Dec 17, 2009.

1. danm yankee

danm yankee Junior Member

Both of my younger kids love to go out plowing with dad.Last time they had a snow day my boy wanted to go along.I had mixed feelings due to the fact that we had glazed ice under hard packed snow with blizzard conditions.I was worried about him coming with driving conditions being the way they were.There was just no tellig him no so,I let him come and just tried to drive extra careful.I ended up having a breakdown in the middle of the storm and he was actually a big blessing to have with me since he helped fetch wrenches etc. and hold the flashlight.Just wondering how many others take their kids along plowing sometimes.
  2. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare Member
    from Indiana

If the weather isn't too bad I will bring the family along sometimes, usually if it is just going to be a couple quick lots or a few driveways. Usually after about 30 minutes my oldest (4) is asleep from going back and forth anyways! haha
  3. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

I Have a almost 4 year old daughter who loves it, I go do a house, and then do my mothers and leave her with my mother while I do the rest. Only reason is attention span wise and she is still in a large car seat. Funny though, I was going to change to a booster seat in the truck, but she wanted to keep the big car seat, will hold her for much longer, one of those ones that can go to 100lbs if needed with adjustable heights, reason she wanted to keep the big seat is she sat up higher in the back in the middle so she could see what was going on with the plow.
  4. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i take my dog. he loves it,
  5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

took some wemon a few times...they all hated it.....mostly the work i had them doing...LOL..hehehe

took my kids once or twice....they grew very bored..
  6. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

No kids, just too much liability with the cold, long hours, dangerous drivers. If it was clear roads and you where running out to do a small cleaning maybe. My wife has come along for the route and she doesnt mind it too much, but is not the fastest, and wears out after a few hours.
  7. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Wife wanted to ride along ONCE. she got car sick from the back and forth and after a few places wanted out LOL!!

Took my daughter with me and she hated it, but she was only 6. The next year i told her to bring her nintendo DS and she was happy as a clam, and that winter i got her into working the plow for me. After a few lots i just sat back with a HUGE chit eat'n grin because i was operating an almost fully automated plow rig LOL!! She got the hang of blad angle, scoop mode, when to start raising it to stack very quickly...almost scarey quickly, and then she did'nt mind it since she was being useful.

This summer i took her out into the country and let her drive the truck, but she's border line to short so maybe next year on some of my buddies big lots we'll give her her shot in the driver seat and see if she can make the whole show come together, obviously i'll be riding shotgun and not just turning her loose. but i think the years of running quads, go carts, and motorcycles have prepped her so the transition into driving the truck was no big deal, and the plow controller is just a different "game controller" to her. I just love the fact she'll do things without having to be proded...wish more kids were this way.
  8. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

My daughter is that way -wanting to do and try everything, except for foods, I love it and trying like hell to keep that aspect in her alive as long as possible,
    With girls it is different, boy s are either born with that instinct or not, girls are born with it and could let it go at anytime and maybe it would come back
  9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My 3 year old loves it and every time it snows he won't leave me alone. I only take him with me on my driveway, my next door neighbor's drive, and the neighbor across the street. Other than that he stays home- if God forbid anything happened while I was out plowing in a snow storm, I don't want him in that truck with me.
  10. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Only if its nice out or the day after a storm, my 7 and 6 year old girls love to control the plow. 2 hours tops!
  11. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I will bring my oldest two with if i need too, when we get there they get out of the truck and run the shovles, My shovlers like it makes there time go faster and i like it cuz i dont have to pay the shovlers so much $$.. xysport
  12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My 4 year old son loves to go. But the only time is a day after the storm and i go out to clean up entrences, loading docks, etc. or for a salt run or two. he will not be in the truck with me all day, maybe a 1 hour max. Way too much liability during a snow storm and what happens when they get bored. You just can't turn around and take them home sometimes.
  13. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

That's how I was when I was a kid...always webt out with my father, loved it, plowed a condo complex and a parking lot so there wasn't a lot of driving to and from....that's what got me plowing when I got older, I loved it then, love it now...and like some of you mentioned, I've taken the kids with me for a few driveways, but only right down the road, if I was in a parking lot, maybe it would be different.
  14. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I went with the old man when I was a kid, no seat belts. One truck, I sat on a bucket, On the tractor I was on the fender, chains whizzing by my fingers.......One time, my dad hit something and stopped dead...I landed on top of him.......This was the 50s-60s, some guys will remember......

These days its a different story...The kids need to be strapped in very well........I remember taking my dog, she flew around the cab pretty good

I just wonder what a cop would say about it these days, being the protective society we have become.
  15. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

My 5 year old nephew love riding with me while i plow. I'll let him ride around with me while i do my car lot. He actually lasted about 3.5 hours before he lost interest. he has only got to do it 2 times though. I had to pick him up from daycare(they closed for the storm) otherwise my sister won't let him in a car during a storm. Maybe she will let him come out for cleanups this year since I'll be in the tank(excursion). at least if he gets bored it's got a tv/dvd and playstaion.
  16. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

they won't last an hour
  17. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

My oldest son has plowed with me for the past 5 years he is 13 now. The only time he gets up fast to to go hunting or plowing. I love it because he will last for hrs take a cat nap and go for hrs again. BUT the best part is he is my controler operater I used to tell him up, down ,left ,right but now he does it without me saying anything its awsome. He also has a few lots he plows himself while I get out and walk around. Now he will be running a skidsteer this year and Im training my 10 to take over the controls.
  18. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I don't like anyone riding with me. They will gasp or make a noise and I am sure I am about to get hit or hit something.....lol
    Plus after 30 mins they are sick from all the plowing anyway
  20. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Hell thats me sometimes, when its snowing them big flakes it messes me all up, back and forth turning hittting pile big white flakes cant focuse getting dizzy dam cant waite to go plowing.