1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taking the plunge...

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by ggb6259, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Thanks to the information I found on this site and with input from a few different snow plow vendors, dealers, I'm taking the plunge and having a SnowDogg MD75 put on my 01 Merc Mountaineer next Wednesday.

Everything I can come up with indicates the Explorer mount should work just fine. Frames for the 2001 models are the same with different motor/drivetrains. The Ford runs a V6 w/ 4x4, the Mountainer I have is V8 AWD. The Sno-Way undercarraige for both is the same part number.

I'm planning on plowing my driveway and a few others in the neighborhood... Not looking to make a business out of it but maybe I can get it to pay for itself.

Price was a major consideration..

Down side is it's late in the year and who knows how much more snow we'll get. Forecasts are not favorable for the next couple of weeks plus that and I made the decision dropping the $ means there will not be any more snow this year...

Sorry folks that's just how it works in my world... but I'll be ready just in case!!

I'll post pice when it's done..

Thanks

gb

2. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

You will be happy with it! Definetly post some pics, I wanna see how that truck handels the plow.
    :redbounce

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

You won't regret the Sno-Dogg... your choice of plow vehicles maybe but not the Dogg.
    The good news is the MD75 will work on a new F150 Super Crew when you're ready to upgrade vehicles.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I can't believe they make a mount for an 01 Explorer but not a 97-04 Dakota....

5. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

The plow vehicle is what I own free and clear and will have to do until I lose some left over debt which should be end of 2010. I opted for the MD75 over the MD68 with the goal of moving it over eventually. I'll probably look for a late 90's early 00's F150 or Chevy/GMC 1500. The Merc is a beast from a towing perspective and I can't imagine that plowing a few driveways would be that much more difficult. The engine and drivetrain are proven tough.

This all hinges on the subframe mounting up like we expect it to.... Between this and the snowmobiles I really reallly really want to see some snow in February......

gb

6. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

make sure you get the pics posted on hear I want to see them aswell

7. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I'm back and am the proud owner of a new SnowDogg MD75...

The Exploder undercarraige mounted up with no issues. (Moorsman should send me cash for being the Guinea pig) The front end of the truck dropped maybe two inches with the plow in the air. Techs who did the install said it looked to be better then the ones they did for Rangers,. Recommended that I leave everything as is. No turns on the torsion bar or any other mods at this time.

I drove it home in a blowing snow about 80 miles. You can tell the extra weight is on the front but she never showed signs of stress or duress. The temps stayed right where they should.

Stopped at buddies place which is an uphill dirt/ grass drive probably 300 feet. dropped the blade, angled it, set it in float and pushed some old crunchy snow plus the new inch or two without a problem. Nerve waracking for my first push but COOL! I think I was too tentative (slow) because it left chatter marks.. That and I kept dropping the control, need an extra hand Ran it twice to wden it and it was clear. Moved the drive end snow pile and the truck had no issues. Again you could tell it was working but not too difficult.

Ended up with dinner and beer at another buds place and it snowed all night probably 3 inches on the ground... Back dragged it and pushed it into his yard no problem at all.

I will get pics tomorrow and post but for my purpose I think it's golden....

Hopefully we get real snow and I can learn how to best push/drag...

Anyway ... Slow and Easy ........ Geeked and very pleased so far.

gb

8. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Back again, We finally got some snow today, about 5"s along the lake..the snow is a middle weight snow...not heavy wet nor fluffy....

I plowed my drive and a couple of others and can comment on the Merc /MD75 combo...
    The drive ways are about 20 x 40~50 mine has a pad down the side of the garage and my one neighbor is on an 60 foot dead end street that does not get plowed.

I might preface this with I have no idea what I'm really doing..

The truck has no issues at all moving the snow..the only time it feels any thing is when the plow is lifted but I expect it to feel it at that time. From what I can tell this thing pushes without breathing hard... back dragging on smaller driveways for me is a non- issue. What I do with the drive ways is I pull in set the blade just in front of the garage, back drag the length of the vehicle/plow +, back in and push it out into the road. Then push it into the corners of the yard... With my side pad I just angle the blade and push that edge all the way through the drive to the back.. I'm finding this works pretty well.. With the one neighbor I clear the road first which is a straight push. I piled snow up about 5'~6' doing this.

I ordered a magnetic plow light which should be here and that should about do it for cash out lay...

I WILL get some pics up in the next day or two but as of now the combo is doing most excellent and I'm just having a hoot of time... My 8 year old is my co-pilot and she has the plow control down pat already... Expect another 6-9" tonight....

gb

9. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

SnowDogg MD 75 / 2001 Mercury Mountaineer

Pics......

First two are plow up and plow down.... You can get a feel for the drop in the front end... not too much at all.....
    I have done nothing but add the plow, no shocks, no timbrrens, not ballast... I will probably add 150~200 lbs
    and see if make any difference....

gb

Snowdogg6.jpg

Snowdogg8.jpg

Snowdogg4.jpg

Snowdogg3.jpg

Snowdogg5.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

how much tha thing way?
    way? wat was i thinking \..... weigh

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  11. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

420~450.... in that range with the mount..... gb

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

200 pounds of grocerys and soccer balls should do the trick. :p

That looks pretty cool though. Just doing your own driveway?

13. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

This year my drive way and two others... The guy next door who had a stroke and my daughters best friends house.... Their driveway is on a street that dead ends about 200 feet so I get the street as the local roadway guys skip it... Buddy is anal about his yard so I stay well within the width of the garage doors oush it to the street end....

I was using a monster snow blower for the mine and the one next door but this is waaaayy easier... My brother has plowed locally for about 30 years and I am going to do some additional residential next year... 540+ house in our subdivision, probably 1000 within a mile/two mile radius..,no curbs. Theres at least 6-8 people on my short street alone that have their drives plowed... figure I can get 8~10 of the ones built like me who are ok with a bit of yard scrape... Just get the snow out of the way.

My net after offing the snowblower is $2900 so it's not that big of a deal and the guy who bought my monster blower threw in his single stage Ariens that is in great shape... I figure as anal as I am about taking care of stuff, the plow will last me till I die...

Glad I made the decision...

gb

14. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

looks great, now lets see one on a escape.

15. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

LOL funny ... I have a 2010 Escape in the driveway......... gb

16. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Getting ready to pull the dogg out of storage but decided to mount the controller so I wouldn't have to hold it all the time. The controller has slots on either side and before checking I just created my own controller mount... Does anyone make a controller mount that uses the slots.
    overly simple....

Pics tomorrow.

gb

17. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

GD
    Look in the box of stuff that came with the plow when you had it installed. should be a bracket for hanging the controller. Everyone of the 30 or so we installed had a bracket.
    BTW you made a good choice getting a Dogg

18. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Good info, contacted my dealer and they are going to send the SnowDogg bracket to me in the mail, I'll add it to the arm I created and it should work well...

Was going to use tie wraps but the bracket will save me on those as my 9 year old daughter loves to be in charge of the plow...

gb

PA070039.jpg

PA070040.jpg