1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taking the plow on a trip.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ff1241, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ff1241

ff1241 Member

We have a yearly icefishing get together up at the hunting cabin about 100 miles away. My brother wants me to bring the plow up to make more parking room. The ATV made some room but the piles are now to big for it to push. I have a 2007 Chevy 2500 with a Western 8'6" pro plus.

I will need to keep an eye on the thermostat. Any other things I should do? Would it be better If I got the plow on a trailer?
  2. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

maybe i'm missing something, but how bout putting the plow in the bed of the truck and straping it down? Will it fit?
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you have a way to get the plow on and off a trailer, that would be much easier on the truck. But a hundred miles isn't forever. If you leave it on, set it as low as possible. You may need to experiment a bit with the blade angle to get the best cooling.

Hopefully it's COLD when you go.
  4. ff1241

ff1241 Member

No. I have a tool box in the bed and its only a 6 foot bed. With the tool box I only have about 4 feet and + 2 more with the tailgate down. I don't think it will fit in the bed of the truck very well.
  5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You should be fine. Just keep it as low as you can.
  6. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

between my plow route and running around the next day doing my realitors and forclusures I easy put 100 miles on. Just watch the thermo and you will be fine. Only issue you may have is that it is a chevy. :)
  7. onsight

onsight Senior Member

After the heavy snow that went through central WI - i wanted to go check my property and mobile home, so i took my plow with on an aprox. 200 mile trip (each way). Didn't have any problems. Plowed my drive, checked my mobile home and came home. My truck is a 2011 F350 with a Boss VXT.
  8. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

You should be fine, you have to think that running around doing several properties during a storm you Can rack up some miles, 100 is easy to do in a storm if you have a lot of properties to do that are spaced out all over a 20 mile radius.

Like others have said, run the blade low, play with the angle, but to the far left or right would be the best I think, but remember you have an 07 model truck, I am sure that it has elect fans on it, maybe not for the motor, but it sure does for the AC unit, so if you are worried that its going to run hot, run the heat on mix so the defroster runs, which if it works like most every other vehicle out there will run the ac unit, which will run the ac cooling fans.
    Will help out if nothing else, but you should be fine as long as its not 98 degree out side.
  9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Drive at night it will be colder, if you are going in the next few days it is suppose to be very cold.
    Keep an eye on the gauges and just don't drive to fast.
  10. ff1241

ff1241 Member

I get off work friday at 11pm and the temp is going to be in the single digits. When I come back Saturday its going to be warmer and was a little more worried. This is the first time I have taken my truck and plow at freeway speeds for a prolonged period of time. Thanks for all the pointers.
  11. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I transported my plow last summer 120 miles in 95 degree heat. Managed to keep temps just slightly above normal. Was interesting to try out the different positions for the plow and they did make a difference. I found out that angled to the right was the best for my Chevy. You would think that angled to the left would be just a good but it wasn't.
  12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

lesave it on and have fun fishing
    only thing that will be bad is....gas mileage lol
  13. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

That is a pretty big plow though. i have a tough time keeping the thermo down with my 9' blade. should be good with keeping it real low but watch for bumps!
  14. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

now thats just funny!!!!, good thing i drive a gmc
  15. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I would be more worried about plowing on top of a lake than running 100 miles with the plow on.
  16. ff1241

ff1241 Member

I'm not plowing the ice. I'm plowing the snowbanks back to make more parking at the hunting cabin.
  17. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Exactly what I was thinking. I used to put 2000 miles a week with a plow on 3/4 ton GMC's, 100 miles is nothing other than the decreased fuel economy.
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A week? That's some driving....
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Wouldn't catch me out there....
  20. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

It amazes me how anyone survived without forums. Drive the truck. It will be fine. If it gets hot lower the plow. I carry mine about 2" above the road and its fine. Angle it if need be. Id be more worried about what songs your going to listen to for the next 100 miles.