1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taking sub-contracted work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by superdog1, Oct 16, 2011.

1. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I am new to the business and I am wondering if taking on sub-contracted work is a good idea until I get established? It seems my inbox is full of requests asking if I am willing to do this. While I do realize there may be some decent CO's out there trying to find assistance, it seems as though everything I read says that doing this type of work is a bad idea?

I was going to post this in the "New to the business" section, but I figured that if you are new, you wouldn't know the answer, hence this post. Any thoughts? I know that some of the Nationals are always looking for independents that are willing to work for $30 an hour while they bill out for $100. While I want to work, I also don't want to get.................you all know what word comes next, Lol
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

IMO - working for someone is the best thing to do for at least the first year. Work for someone local, not a big national.

You'll learn what it takes to do this kind of work, diferent options for every facet of this business, how long it takes to get something done or what it takes and probably best of all, you learn at someone elses expense.

The biggest thing is be HONEST with people you approach about working for them, sign the no compete if they ask, work your butt off for them and show a willingness to learn and the right person will get you ten years worth of experience.

You see people on here ask how to bid this lot, how many times per season do you plow, how many times do you salt, how long does it take to plow an acre. While all these questions won't be answered 100% - you'll get right in the ballpark if you pay attention while working for someone for a year or two.
  3. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

Gonna be a short thread. That was the perfect answer. Well said.
  4. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I think I agree. I have 3 other business' that I run, but it doesn't mean ANYTHING if you don't have experience in the business we are talking about. Thanks for the reply!
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

X2, When I started out I had a few of my own accounts and plowed as a sub too. It's a great way to pick years of information in a very short amount of time. In my case subbing in the winter turned into getting referrals for Lawns/summer work.
  6. platinumpimps

platinumpimps Member

me too! got alot of summer work that way
  7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

100% agree....
  8. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I am thinking about hooking up with the outfit that posted on here for work in NYC? I am only maybe 2 hrs away from there, so I would be able to drive there, put a decent days work in and then come home? My only concern is break downs. I can not even begin to imagine what it would cost to have a GMC 1 ton dually towed back home from there if something major crapped out on me?
  9. kagenewengland

kagenewengland Senior Member

nyc concerns

we are the outfit looking for trucks in nyc. the work we are offering should be easy on your truck, but we plan on having resourses to asist with repair in the city. If you are intersted please get in touch being as we are going to try to submit our "final list" by the end of the day tomorrow (10/24). Please call Justin @ 774-244-0106 or email thesnowman@thenaturallandscape.com