1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taking out A/C of '87 truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 400hp408sb, Mar 25, 2004.

1. 400hp408sb

400hp408sb Junior Member
    from Maine

The a/c has never worked in the truck, I suspect that it's the pump. I use this truck for street, mud runs, trail riding. I would probably never use the a/c even if it worked. So I want to take out the a/c pump and disconnect the lines from the pump to the condensor and cooler in grill. I would leave everything else. It would help clear up the engine compartment a little bit. My question is, is there a kit for recapping the fittings that I unhook or is it not neccessary to do this? There probably isn't even anything in the system. Or should I just go to the local hardware store and buy some brass fittings to cap off the ends? I'm sure I'm not the only person to have ever done this. hehe then again maybe i am and everyone is going to ask why I want to take a/c out :D :D Thanks for any suggestions

2. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

There might be standard caps that you can get, but for keeping out dust and dirt you could use just about any cap that is the right size. Some of the fittings (e.g., the condenser lines) may be an AN type, which might not work with caps available from a typical hardware store. The AN hose fittings are used on some A/C lines, high pressure fuel lines, and other automotive applications.

Also use an O-ring or washer so that it seals tight and prevents dirt from getting into the lines. This will make it a lot easier if you want to eventually put the A/C parts back on and get the system working.

If you leave the high pressure hose that goes from the condenser to the evaporator on the truck, you can get by with just removing the compressor and the dual hose set that connects to it. That way you only have two connections to cap.

Bruce

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

If your never going to use the stuff why are you worried about capping it? I would yank the condenser too but thats just me.

The "proper" way to do it is to take it to a shop. The non proper way is to let lose of that stuff outside. Dont breath it if you do and remember its heavier than air. If it gets in your lungs it wont just come out, it will sit in the bottom. It aint like nerve gas but if you drain it(if there is even any in there) I would crack it open and just leave and let it empty out for a bit.