1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taking Off Hydraulic Lines

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by GMC25004x4, Jan 31, 2012.

1. GMC25004x4

GMC25004x4 Member

First off i am sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I have a 8 Foot straight Arctic poly plow and with the lack of snow here i want to take the plow off (just the blade) well last week i took off everything blade + lights, because i wasnt sure how to take off the hydraulic lines, i just got this plow this year so i dont have much experience with it, and what do i do with the lines once there disconected, wont they leak fluid? if you have any pics that would be even more helpfull. Thank You.

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

just unbolt the ends of the lines from the pump/cylinders. hydro fluid will come out. you might have to bleed it when you put it back together, i know western/fisher are self bleeding.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you had a picture of your blade it would be more helpful. Generally you put a quick coupler on your hoses and then when you take you blade off, you leave one hose on the blade and one on the pump. If you have the quick couplers on the right way you can then hook the hose on the pump to the other side of the pump and the hose on the blade to the other angle cylinder. This will keep everything clean and simple. If your blade isn't this style forget what I told you. LOL

4. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

I doubt they'll leak very much, if it leaks too much for you like get some caps and plugs to block off the lines. These can be bought at any hydraulic shop. The ones for my fisher are #5 JIC but I'm not sure what yours is.

5. GMC25004x4

GMC25004x4 Member

HPIM1296.jpg

Ok heres a picture, i am not sure if these are quick disconnects?

HPIM1296.jpg

6. Top_Notch

Top_Notch Junior Member

Those look like quick disconnects to me. But they look like the ones on a compressor, so the male end of the hose might leak fluid when it is disconnected. Maybe you can simply keep the hose end pointed vertically upward to keep the fluid from spilling out. I applolgise in advance if any of this is horribly wrong since I am new to the plow industry.

Cheers,

Jeff

7. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

just pull back on the collar on the QD

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Yes those are push down on the collar and pull up on the hose end, then connect the right side cylinder hose to the left side cylinder and the hose off the pump to the other fitting while it's off to keep junk out of the fittings.

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

I would put a swival fitting connector on the pass side hose it looks siezed up

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes that's what I was talking about in my last post. The couplers will more then likely need replaced and if they don't I'd buy an extra set just to have because it seems the small coupler s can cause problems at the worse times.

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Like was said before, just loop them back together, left cylinder hooked to right cylinder and the same on the pump, this will also keep any pressure from building up expecially if you accidentially move the controls left to right the fluid will just cycle through... New fittings will be like $15 total, we usually put new ones on every 2 years just for fun cause the blade comes off my trucks after every storm and I hate using a punch and hammer to hit the collar down everytime

12. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

When you disconnect your lines get little plastic cover to go over the fittings, when I was an apprentice I remember an instructor repeating over and over in hydraulics cleanliness is next to Godliness. If you get dirt in your system you will be praying to God on your knees in the snow, keep them clean.tymusic

13. GMC25004x4

GMC25004x4 Member

Ok Thank's guys for all the info, im sure they are seized, considering i havent taken them off before, but i will try to do so with in the next couple days.

Thanks again

14. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

How long has it been on the truck? If it's just been on this season they should come off

15. GMC25004x4

GMC25004x4 Member

Hey guys, well those collars were very rusty so i hit them with some WD 40 and they came off. The plow is new to me this year and thats the first time i took those lines off, but i dont know when the guy before me did it last.... :confused:
    HPIM1297.jpg

HPIM1297.jpg

16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

When you go to hook it back up, its easiest to attach the chain first, raise it up and then all you have to do is the fine adjustments to put the pins in, the truck is carrying all the weight of the blade instead of you trying to move it around and lift it up... We have it down to a science, 1 person in the truck and the other hooking it up can have it all done in under 2 minutes...

17. GMC25004x4

GMC25004x4 Member

Ok, Thanks for the tip :salute:

18. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

am i missing something? it looks like you could have left the frame on the plow.maybe i can,t see the whole set-up

19. GMC25004x4

GMC25004x4 Member

Yes i could have left the frame on the plow, but wanted to take it off this way for when it snows again, for a quicker hook up.

20. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

i,m use to the fisher minute mount, i guess im spoiled. you guys getting any snow i hope?