1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taking my boss apart?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bossman 92, May 19, 2008.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, I want to take my 9'2" apart and have the wings sand blasted and power coated. How do I go about taking the wings off? I asked the dealer and he said it was easy, but I can't remember what he said :drinkup:

I have a little rust, and the paint is fading, so I want to take care of this before it gets too bad.

Thanks Bossman

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Removing the wings is a piece of cake if you have a helper to help hold the wings while you remove them as thats the hardest part...keeping them off your toes :D.

To disassemble:

1) Remove the outer 5/8" bolts from each of the wing cylinders.

2) Remove the 3/8" hinge pin retaining bolt holding the top of the center hinge pin in place.

3) If your plow has the older style cutting edges with the separate center snow catcher you'll need to remove the forward most 3/8" bolt from the bottom of the snow catcher as well, since it threads into the bottom of the hinge pin.

4) Work the center hinge pin up out until you can separate the wings from the center tower assembly.

In most cases it usually requires some gentle persuasion with a hammer to get the pin worked up and out. If the hinge hasn't been greased in a long time give it a shot of penetrating oil to help it slide up out.

Simply reverse the procedure for reassembly.

An additional tip: If you find any wear on the hinge pin after you remove it (including finding out it's bent) replace it now. Cheap to do while its out.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the directions. I asked my dealer this winter when it was in for repair, but I guess I didn't pay close enough attention. :D

Bossman

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Get some pics. You know how we all love pics.:D