1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taking credit cards for commercials?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Aug 13, 2013.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Was thinking about it for this year. The post office I have to but the others I don't offer it ,yet. If anyone does,do you bump up the price to cover the cc fee? By law in NY ,your not oppose to list a cc fee if someone uses one.So I was thinking about doing it with 2 prices. 1 price would be with the cc.The other one would be the "cash/check" one that is discount to equal out either way.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you've never had trouble collecting money and cash flow isn't an issue I would not bother with credit cards.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

What does McDonald's,target, or Tim's do?
    Will you take all CC's or seclet ones?
    Will you give change or do you require exact change?
    How about debit cards?
    Accept WIC for credits?
  4. Kermit1414

Kermit1414 Junior Member

A friend of mine offers a discount on residential and commercial contracts that pay with CC and have autopay.

He has very few collection worries...his customers enjoy the discount or extra service and one less worry of the snowman NOT showing after a 8in dump for non-payment.

It's efficient and he never worries about cash flow.

Use it as a tool.
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

No reason not to take a CC today. In the past you had to have a vendor account, you were charged a set up fee, monthly fee and transaction fee. Not anymore.

We use Square, I think it's 2.75% per transaction, you get your money within 48hrs and you can send an email receipt right from the app that works on your phone.

Years ago we did a Dennys and was told we'd have to take AMEX in order to get paid, Dennys corp helped us out in setting up a account with AMEX, some one time fee that Dennys paid and after doing it a few times was really easy to deal with.

Square, they take all cards, so you don't need three merchant accounts, no set up fee. The only downside, you have to agree not to use their system for selling drugs or prostitution.

We don't charge anymore for taking cards, we don't do a high enough volume with it to make much of a difference and not having to chase money makes up for it.....
  6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

The only downside, you have to agree not to use their system for selling drugs or prostitution.

Dam now what am I gonna do.
  7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I'm sure you were not the only one thinking that. lol.. Funny thou I saw something on CNBC and one of the drug dealers was saying thats what he does he takes CC and Debit and its in his bank account in no time.
  8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Credit cards

We offer that as a payment option and have for many years. You can have a credit card authorization form signed by them and run the invoice upon completion. We do not charge extra for using the CC option. We have found that our clients like the option as well. Getting the money immediately is a nice option.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
  9. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i use square to accept cc's. works well. the only issue is that you have to contact them to increase the monthly limits. it is handy that it instantly emails a copy when done.
  10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

^^^This! Its too easy not to accept them nowadays.
  11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We don't, well not except an occasional issue... the fees for the accounts would be too high.

$500 landscapes and $150 monthly lawn service fees are one thing but some commercial accounts, hell after one storm could be $4000 or per month for a small account. Would you bill $20-80k to a credit card for one account if it was a big place? I'd say a $2k limit or something but i wouldnt want to advertise it.

We've had small places like churches request it in the past and i've allowed them to pay their $1000 bill via credit card for no extra charge, but the same church the year prior had $2-3k bills in a bad snow year and i would have already had to think twice about that amount.
  12. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

IMO it's worth giving up the 2-3% to be able to save the postage, the hassle of the two week (if your lucky)turnaround, then the time to go to the bank, etc... Sit down after a storm, and run the CC through and be done. Like has been said before, it's basically instant, what's not to like?