1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taking care of plows

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 96f250, Feb 19, 2007.

1. 96f250

96f250 Member

After a storm should i go out and clean up the plow to keep in the best of shape or will it be fine??

2. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

Rinse it down with a hose to get rid of the salt or pressure wash it if available.

3. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I always clean the plow and the truck after every event. Then when I get back to the shop I look over the plow to make sure it's ready for next time. As a matter of fact, today I cleaned everything and found a weld that was broke. Was able to get it fixed before something worse could of happened.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A good cleaning after every storm is a smart idea.While your washing it, it gives you a good chance to look the plow over for any problems like missing pins or hardware,worn/damaged hoses or broken weld's.After it's clean,give all the exposed ram's and electrical connection's a shot of Fluid Film or some kind of protectant to help ward off rust and corrosion. If more guy's would do this, I'd have nothing to do all winter except plow snow.:D

5. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Everything will last longer if you keep it clean,plow and truck.

6. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

B&B is dead on again(good rinse spray down and inspect)--Definately check out the blade--trip springs and pins and such--especially if you had the blade trip a couple of times during the storm--nothing like getting caught-- couple of hours before a storm and notice that you are missing pins for the trip edge!

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

After every storm I go out and wash down the plow. If it is warm enough I'll wash it with soap and water, if it is cold, I'll just spray it and wipe it down with a rag. Then I check for any problems and re-grease as needed. As soon as the paint really starts to come off, I'll sand it down, get a good coat of primer on it, and then two coats of good paint.